Problems with PF700S inputs

milldrone

Greetings,

At the facility I work for we have five PF700S's. Four of them have given very good service, with no problems. All five were originally set up with 24V DC inputs on DI 1-3 and 115V AC inputs on DI 4-6. All five drives use the same control scheme. DI 1 (24V) is the start, DI 2 (24V) is the stop, DI 3 (24V) is connected to a hard selector switch, DI 4 (115V) is connected to another hard selector switch, DI 5 (115V) is connected to a "reset PB". Lastly DI 6 (115V) is connected to a output from a E stop relay. Inputs DI 3, DI 4, and DI 5 are not controlling the drive directly but are used as remote I/O, the bits are seen by the PLC over controlnet. We are using DI 6 as the hardware enable, so the HW enable jumper has been positioned for this function.

The machine center in question has had several episodes of DI 6 not functioning. In each instance of DI 6 not working there was 115V at pin 16 (this is the input for DI 6). Wiring has been checked several times, nothing abnormal was ever found. The first failure was 18 months after commissioning, the main control board cassette was changed (the dip switches were set for 115V and the HW jumper positioned) and production resumed. The second failure happened 12 months after the control cassette was changed. This time the EE wanted to change the entire drive to eliminate any possible problems associated with parts other than the main control cassette. Again the dip switches were set for 115V and the HW jumper was positioned. Another failure happened 6 months later and the main control cassette was changed again. Again the dip switches were set for 115V and the HW jumper was positioned.

The EE wanted to take some preventive measures, so he commissioned a work order to change the 115V AC controls to 24V DC controls. The work was done and the dip switches were set for 24V but the sparky missed one wire, you guessed it, he left the common for inputs DI 4-6 attached to the neutral. Another main control cassette was swapped in (while the neutral was still connected to the common). This cassette did not function as expected (the wrong drive outputs were energized, more to follow on this cassette) so the original was reinserted. The trouble was diagnosed and the wire switched to the internal voltage pin. Another cassette from a working drive was swapped in (with proper dip switch and jumper settings). The strange thing was that this cassette also failed to function on DI 6, so not having any spares we enabled the software enable jumper and connected the Estop to DI 5 (after some changes in logic).

I set up our spare drive on the bench and tested the "defective" cassettes on 24V and 115V. I found that the cassette that had been in place for the requested change from 115V to 24V did not function on 24V but still functioned on 115V (DI 6). The cassette that produced unexpected results still functioned on 24V and 115V (DI 6). I also found why it was producing unexpected results. The HIM was never loaded to the device and was at factory parameters. I also had to flash the cassette to a version the rest of the drives were also using so there would not be any controlnet issues.

Has anyone seen input DI 6 fail before?

No, but I have seen drive exteranal inputs stop working because the drive got "accidently" reset to factory defaults.

I have a machine running with multiple PF70s that has been running for about 8-9 years or so, and I had one digital input fail sometime last year. It was 24V, and was an external Stop driven by an Estop and NC contact of a motor overload in series. 24VDC was present on the terminal, but the input would not register as turned on, and the drive wouldn't start (checked with Drive Executive). I just changed the settings on the drive and moved the input to another point. Luckily for me most of the drive commands were handled over ControlNet, so there were plenty of spare inputs for me to switch the STOP command to.

So while not exactly DI6, and not exactly a PF700, I think the PF70s are close enough, and it was DI1 I think that failed on my unit (which I swapped over to DI2). So it does happen, but I don't think it happens that often.

No, but I have seen drive exteranal inputs stop working because the drive got "accidently" reset to factory defaults.

This is what happened when a new cassette was swapped in and there was no HIM to device download performed. Had the download been performed the major version firmware mismatch would have presented itself and controlnet wouldn't have functioned.

I had one digital input fail sometime last year. It was 24V, and was an external Stop driven by an Estop and NC contact of a motor overload in series. 24VDC was present on the terminal, but the input would not register as turned on, and the drive wouldn't start (checked with Drive Executive). I just changed the settings on the drive and moved the input to another point. Luckily for me most of the drive commands were handled over ControlNet, so there were plenty of spare inputs for me to switch the STOP command to.

Unfortunately the only input that connects to the "hardware enable" is DI 6. As I mentioned this is for Estop reasons. We also used contolnet and Drive Executive to monitor the status of the inputs and compared this with voltage on the input points.

I was unaware that you could mix voltages on a single control cassette. Is the drive equipped with the safe-off option? If so, could it be noise or some other side effect of mixing voltages "screwing with" the safe off option module? Also, do I read correctly that you are using the drive power supply? I try to only use the +24 from a VFD as a last option, having had better reliability from using external power.

Last edited:
I was unaware that you could mix voltages on a single control cassette.

Yes you can. But the voltage of DI 1-3 can never be changed, they are always 24V. Only the voltage of DI 4-6 can be changed to 115V. The default from the factory is 24V, there are dip switches for this.

Is the drive equipped with the safe-off option? If so, could it be noise or some other side effect of mixing voltages "screwing with" the safe off option module?

I'm unaware of the "safe off option". We are using the "hardware enable" jumper setting. When the jumper for this setting is moved into "HW enable" there are no software options available for DI 6. Interestingly enough Drive Executive will show it as a option from a pull down list, but the HIM will skip over the entry if you up-down scroll. If you use alt-param 830 the HIM reports option not available. When the machine was using 115V for inputs DI 4-6 the voltage was sourced from a control transformer energized by drive AC power. The 115V left the enclosure and followed a rather convoluted and ancient conduit path then returned to the drive. It was his concern that there might be some unintended voltage mixing during this route. So he had us install a interposing relay in the drive enclosure and use 24V only for all the inputs.

Also, do I read correctly that you are using the drive power supply? I try to only use the +24 from a VFD as a last option, having had better reliability from using external power.

Not my decision. The EE has decided to use the drive power supply. In his defense the voltage never leaves the enclosure.

Thanks, Mildrone. I don't have any new ideas for you right now, but if I run across any info relevant to this I'll let you know.

The safe off option (in my words) is a force guided safety rated relay that mounts in the drive and is intended to be wired to interrupt the hardware enable input (no software interpretation). It replaces the hardware enable jumper too, so it electromechanically breaks the IGBT gate signalling. The IGBTs can't fire when coil power is removed from the safe-off option board. I think it allows the drive to achieve category 3 safety rating with no external safety contactors.