HMI and SCADA Process Value not corresponding

IdealDan

Hi Friends,

A quick one please:
What could cause HMI and SCADA Process value/data NOT corresponding?

A temperature value having up to 5 degree Celsius difference between the HMI (Panel View Plus) and SCADA (Vijeo Citect SCADA).
PLC is CompactLogix
Ethernet Network Communication.

Your inputs are immensely appreciated.
Regards

Hi Friends,

A quick one please:
What could cause HMI and SCADA Process value/data NOT corresponding?

A temperature value having up to 5 degree Celsius difference between the HMI (Panel View Plus) and SCADA (Vijeo Citect SCADA).
PLC is CompactLogix
Ethernet Network Communication.

Your inputs are immensely appreciated.
Regards

Is this a new tag? Has it ever been correct? What datatype?

The first thought that comes to mind is, as others here have posted, - "a HMI should be a window into the PLC."

My thought is that either the HMI or SCADA is doing some internal calculations, maybe adding a temperature offset value to compensate for an off reading, that got fixed when a thermocouple was replaced but the offset was never removed. I ALWAYS do these things in the PLC.

Are you sure the SCADA and the HMI are reading the same tag? I wouldn't say that it's common practice, but where I am at the moment, the developers were so poor at creating a SCADA system that it's common to see what effectively should be the same value being different because it's linked to different places in the PLC.

Failing that, and I've never used Vijeo, some SCADA packages have the option of mapping values to ranges. This isn't common on real values, but it's one potential source.

the first thought that comes to mind is, as others here have posted, - "a hmi should be a window into the plc."

my thought is that either the hmi or scada is doing some internal calculations, maybe adding a temperature offset value to compensate for an off reading, that got fixed when a thermocouple was replaced but the offset was never removed. I always do these things in the plc.

+1

The first thought that comes to mind is, as others here have posted, - "a HMI should be a window into the PLC."

My thought is that either the HMI or SCADA is doing some internal calculations, maybe adding a temperature offset value to compensate for an off reading, that got fixed when a thermocouple was replaced but the offset was never removed. I ALWAYS do these things in the PLC.
I think there is a tendency here.

Are you sure the SCADA and the HMI are reading the same tag? I wouldn't say that it's common practice, but where I am at the moment, the developers were so poor at creating a SCADA system that it's common to see what effectively should be the same value being different because it's linked to different places in the PLC.

Failing that, and I've never used Vijeo, some SCADA packages have the option of mapping values to ranges. This isn't common on real values, but it's one potential source.
yes, they are reading the same Tag

After an online change to a PLC, a HMI can be left subscribing to the old addresses of the tags. I think there is protocol to solve this, but there was a time when not everyone had implemented this.

Rebooting the HMI could solve it.

My instinct would be though there's a configuration difference. Calibration values, filters on the tags, different tag, different PLC etc.