1785-KE to PLX5201-MNET-DFCM

Jmeadows7676

I have been trying to connect a Prosoft 5201-MNET-DFCM to a existing KE module. It will be used to get information from a PLC 5 using DH+ via Modbus TCP. Is this even possible??:confused:
I have configured it every possible way i can think of and was wondering has anyone successfully done it.

Again Bailey BRC(Modbustcp)----->ProSoft 5201-mnet-dfcm(DF1)----->1785-KE(DH+)---->PLC5 (Channel 1A)

The 1785-ke and Plc 5 are existing equipment.

Any help will be appreciated

What you describe *should* work, thought I haven't done that exact thing.

Which part do you think is not working ? What sort of tools do you have to troubleshoot ?

Since the 1785-KE and PLC-5 are existing equipment, it seems like the place to start testing. I would set up RSLinx Classic with a DF1 driver and the OPC Test Client to be sure that I can read and write the desired data out of the PLC-5 controller.

That will verify the PLC-5 data tables, the DH+ configuration, the DF1 configuration, and the operability of the 1785-KE.

And the 5201-MNET-DFCM should be able to be tested using ordinary tools like a Modbus/TCP client emulator. I like Chipkin Automation's test tool, but there are plenty of free and inexpensive Modbus/TCP utilities.

Maybe the hardest part is the DFCM <-> KE serial link. If you have verified the serial and protocol settings on the 1785-KE using your computer and RSLinx Classic, then you're halfway there.

So i Cant get the Communication from the DFCM card to KE working. I have Frontline Netdecoder software and A Modbus TCP Simulator.
Right Now im trying to figure out the pinout from this crazy 15 pin RS-232-C Connector to a DB9 Connector on my PC to use with DF1 Driver as you suggested.
The Settings on KE are as follows.
Protocol: Full Duplex
Error Check: CRC
Parity: None
Embedded Respones: Yes
Duplicate Message:Ignore
Handshaking:ignore
Diagnostic Cmd:Execute

Station#: 3 verified on DH+ scan with RSLinx
DH+: 57.6K
RS232 Baud: 19.2K
Local/Remote Addr: Local

Still with this information i can't get a DF1 Driver to see KE card in RSLinx
Do you have an idea of the Pinout??

If you've got Frontline NetDecoder and a USB/serial box (they're built by Stratus Engineering in California), you're equipped better than most folks to do this. Really good choices.

The A-B cable to connect a modern 9-pin serial port to the 1785-KE's serial port would be a "1784-CAK".

Because both ports are "DTE" types, the cable between them should be a "null modem" type.

But because 15-pin and 9-pin connectors don't have the same pinouts, you end up needing just three wires:

Code:
15-pin     9-pin

2 (Tx)     2 (Rx)
3 (Rx)     3 (Tx)
7 (Gnd)    5 (Gnd)

Don't try to use the RSLinx Classic DF1 Full Duplex driver's "Autoconfigure" feature: just set it up for 19200 baud, 8/N/1 framing, CRC error checking and "KE/KF2" device type.

EDIT: Thanks for the reminder: the 1785-KE used a DB15 connector, not a DE25 like the PLC-5. Eye-rolling because there's plenty of room to have used a 9-pin or 25-pin.

Last edited:
So ive got the OPC test Client working with KE and PLC5. Looks good. Now to that Prosoft Card. I will check the Pin-out again to make sure everything matches up.
I was able to hook up the netdecoder software to the Prosoft card and verified that it is polling what i have in command 1 of Port 0. That looks good. Makes me think that it is a cabling issue.

Yea that NetDecoder Software is the Bee's Knee's. Just Expensive though.

Can you intercept the Prosoft module's serial output from FTE NetDecoder ?

Are you sure there is no response at all from the 1785-KE, or are there NAK or other error messages ?

I have tried a couple of things in the past few days. I set up a micrologix to the Prosoft card and all was well. I then went from Prosoft to PLC 5 CH0 using a 25-->9 pin connector. Again worked fine. I have also verified the KE to DH+ side using OPC test Client. There must be some issue with the Prosoft Messaging Structure that the KE can't resolve to pass through.

I have Rockwell TECH Connect and have looked and found alot of good info on interfacing DCS systems to KE but not this exact thing.

KEN, Is there a device that goes from ModbusTCP to DH+??

A MicroLogix or PLC-5 serial port could have handled DF1 "point to point" without a destination Station Number.

At this point in a complicated serial or legacy messaging system I say we've got to see the data frames themselves.

Do you know if the 1785-KE is replying to the Prosoft module with rejection or error codes, or if it's not responding at all ?

G-i-T deleted the spammer's line.

It was something to the effect of "I've tried every configuration but nothing works", followed by a couple of generic social media links.

Ken, I'm in the Process of locating my Frontline RS232 sniffer, I have the RS485 one in hand but can't seem to find my RS232 one. Then ill be able to get the actual data packets and post them on here.

Thanks, for the help