FactoryTalk Versions

Tstevic

The company I currently work at has various versions of FactoryTalk Studio. V5.10 to V11. Is there any advantage to installing the earlier versions? It is my recollection that the latest version makes older ones obsolete and unusable. I have been away from Rockwell for a bit, so the old grey matter may be somewhat rusty.

I have heard, but do not know for sure, that version 11.0, no longer supports "HMI tags" and HMI tag alarming. Many older migrated RSView32 applications had old PLC5 IO mapped to tags, with scaling and alarming set up in the tags.

The last version I setup was version 10 and I do remember something about it being the last one for HMI alarms.
So is you have older systems with HMI tag scaling and alarms, you might need to keep the older version.

Ken, that's right...

I just did a RSView32 upgrade to FT View. I tried V11 first, but it gave me the message something like "V10 was the last version to support Tag Alarms. It is recommended to migrate to FactoryTalk Alarms and Events". But in V11 I would have HAD to use FT Alarms and Events.

Since I didn't want to spend too much time and effort in the upgrade, I went to V10 instead.

This is from the manual:

"FactoryTalk View version 10.00 is the last release to support the legacy
HMI tag alarms. We highly recommend that you update your alarming
strategy to use FactoryTalk Alarms and Events."

NOTE: This is for FT View SE.

Source: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/ftae-rm001_-en-e.pdf