Messaging Between PLC5 Processors on DH+

matt.norsask

Hey guys, I'm trying to set up messaging between two PLC 5 processors that are on Data Highway, but I'm having a difficult time finding any resources on how to do this. What I would like to do is read a data table on NORSKPEW from the PLC102 PLC. I have no issues with setting up the data table addresses and size in elements, but I am uncertain on the rest of the setup. I'm assuming the target device is Remote as the processors are on different data highway cards. Below is our setup in RSLinx. We're using a controllogix processor with an ethernet card and two DHRIO cards to run our mill's data highway network.

192.168.1.50 1756-ENBT/A
Backplane, 1756-A7/A
00, 1756-ENBT/A
01, 1756-DHRIO/C,
CH A, Data Highway Plus
CH B, Data Highway Plus
12, PLC-5/40E, NORSKPEW
02, 1756-DHRIO/C
CH A, Data Highway Plus
CH B, Data Highway Plus
77, PLC102

The information I am looking for in the MSG setup is:

- Port Number for 'This PLC-5'
- Whether Local/Remote is local or remote
- If remote, do I need to define the local station number
- Node
- User
- Remote Bridge Link ID

I would assume you need more information than what I've provide to answer some of these, but I'm not sure where to even begin looking for this information. If anyone has experience in this area, I would greatly appreciate the help!

If you are messaging across a backplane between two nodes on different DH-RIO modules, you will need to create a routing table which assigns Link ID's to the source and destination nodes. You will get there by right-clicking the DH-RIO and select Module Configuration. There will be a Routing Table tab to assign unique Link numbers to each of the DH-RIO channels.

Based on the information in post #1, and assuming Link ID assignments 1, 2, 3, and 4, for DH-RIO slot 1 CH A, CH B, DH-RIO slot 2 CH A, CH B, respectively, the read message from PLC102 will have a setup like:

This PLC5-

Command: PLC-5 Typed Read
Address: (PLC102 data table source)
Size: (elements to read)
Port: (PLC102 DH+ port on same network as DH-RIO module)

Target Device-

Address: (NORSKPEW data table destination)
Local DH+ Node: (DH+ node of slot 2 DH-RIO module)
Local/Remote: Remote
Link Type: Data Highway
Remote Station Address: 12
Remote Bridge Link ID: 2

That Link ID is based on the assignment assumption regarding DH-RIO slot 1, CH B.

Thanks for the responses! Sorry about how the tree showed up in my post. I had everything properly indented so that it would be easier to read. Ken, the two PLC's are on the same backplane, but each is on a separate DHRIO card. I'm guessing that would mean they're on separate networks? Mispeld, I'll give your suggestions a go during our shift change! The one thing I'm still not clear on is the space for User in the MSG Config. Once I select Remote, then it asks me for Node, User and Remote Bridge Link ID. The Link ID I'll get from the routing table (Under Module Configuration, Routing Table Tab, DHRIO Slot 1 Channel B says Link 6). For Node, it looks like I'll use 12. But I have no idea for User. I re-wrote our rslinx RSWho layout with indents to make it a little easier to look at. Thanks again!

192.168.1.50 1756-ENBT/A
----Backplane, 1756-A7/A
--------00, 1756-ENBT/A
--------01, 1756-DHRIO/C,
------------CH A, Data Highway Plus
------------CH B, Data Highway Plus
----------------12, PLC-5/40E, NORSKPEW
--------02, 1756-DHRIO/C
------------CH A, Data Highway Plus
------------CH B, Data Highway Plus
----------------77, PLC102

Regarding the "User" entry, this appears to be required when the Remote Link Type is Data Highway II, which is not something I am familiar with. All of my experience is with original DH. You might try selecting Data Highway (not II) for the remote link type, unless you're sure the DH II is necessary.