Profinbus to G120 drive using manager Help !!!

Holmux

Lifetime Supporting Member
If I had a religion I would start praying by now :)

Please I need help :) It is so rare I have the manager open, that it is a challenge every time.

I have a feeling I need to install some more software options to get this going, I have been trying to install a GSD file in my project but everyone tells me to use HW config, but all I have in Netpro, and I can't seem to get past this.

Any quick fix to get me past this ?? đź“š

/Holmux

First I wanted to get the G120 drive into my software, to do this I believe I need HW config, I have search high and low true my Siemens WM, but no luck.

Here is what I have installed on my Siemens WM

2019-06-06 00_02_37-Installed SIMATIC software.png 2019-06-06 00_03_28-Installed SIMATIC software.png

Last edited:
Now drag in a drive

Now drag in a drive

Look under profibus devices to your G120 (your particular one)

1.png

Last edited:
Simple as that :) My brain was getting low on suger last night, thanks

I installed Simotion Scout last night and that opened op a few doors as well.

So now I have my drive listed with an address as well so the future is looking bright :)

I was planing to use telegram FB11 “PZD_G120_Tel_1” to control the drive, would that be the right way to go ??

Thanks again

/Holmux

2019-06-06 07_12_07-HW Config - 1.png 2019-06-06 07_13_17-SIMATIC Manager - 2.png

Depends on what you want the drive to do. FB11 (for Telegram 1) is enough for ON/OFF1/OFF2/OFF3, speed control, status bits and speed feedback.

But if you want more information from the drive such as current, torque, fault and warning values, or want to read and write parameters, you would use FB10 (Telegram 352).

I've used Telegram 352 simply because of the fault and warning values being accessible to the PLC.

Last edited:
The only thing I need to do is start the pump with a fixed speed, it is a very simple setup where the costumer maybe starts the pump ones a day.

I have argued we just did a simple IO control, but for some reason they would like to setup this profibus connection from this old Siemens PLC, so I am learning something new :)

I am having a hard time getting this telegram to communicate, I know when working with Rockwell often only the largest telegram works, I think this has something to do with the safety in the drives, that varies from the different firmware in the drives.

I just downloaded a sample project, where the telegram look's a bit different from the one i use, is there different versions of Telegram 1 ??

The program I am working in is pretty full, so I am trying to copy as little as possible to the project, but not totally clear no what I need to make this work do I only need the FB11 and the DB11 in my project?

Sorry for all the questions :) but I hope you can point me in the right direction đź“š

Thanks
/Holmux

Test setup.png

Have you done the configuration of the G120 drive ?
I dont know Simotion Scout. I would use STARTER as suggested by Sigmadelta.
When STARTER is installed, you can access the G120 parameters by opening the drive from within Simatic Manager (it starts up STARTER).
You then have to use the Wizard in STARTER to setup the G120 with the parameters, incl. which Profidrive profile to use.
When you save the STARTER project, it gets saved together with the STEP7 Project, which is an advantage that you backup everything together.

Why did you decide to go with Profibus ? The 315F-2PN/DP CPU has a Profinet port. When setting up parameters on the G120, you can access it via Routing:
PC -- (Ethernet) -- 315F-2PN/DP -- (Profibus) -- G120.
But it is a little tricky to setup the first time for someone new to all of this. It is way easier with Profinet.

Hi Jesper

Thanks

Well the disituion on the profibus was the costumer and my first drive via profibus :)

The reason that I have Simotion installed, was a the startup info screen, telling my it was missing, so the costumer may have had this installed, I am just guessing here, but I tried downloading as many G120 EDS files I could get hold of but kept getting an error, that some files where missing, but after installing Simotion my drive popped up in my hardware setup :)

I used starter to config the drive, I have had a few errors in regards to the way the drive recognize the motor and I still haven't a clear view on how that works, I was looking for an autotune option :) but nut sure if this is even available in a G120.

I have done a few projects in starter, where I could do the autotune within in the starter setup (S110 drive) but I don't have that option with this drive.

When I check the profibus communication in starter, I am getting nothing from the PLC, something tells me that I don't have all the blocks in my project that I need to get the communication going.

The sample project I downloaded has all the bells and whistles going on, it would be a nightmare to squeeze that in to this project, so I am trying to get away with a minimum of blocks to add to the system.

Please any input in greatly appreciated, I am having some long nights đź“š

Thanks
/Holmux