Quiet/adjustable volume siren/buzzer

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

Currently designing a machine for a lab environment. It needs an audible alert, but being a lab environment, I need it to be reasonably quiet, or adjustable.

Criteria in order of importance are: 24VDC, low (or adjustable) volume, compact, 22mm mounting.

Anyone know of one that fits the bill?

The link doesn't work for me, but I think I've found the ones you mean.

I hadn't considered it previously, but I think I'd prefer a constant pulse so that I can use the PLC to give different beep patterns for "fault" vs "cycle done". Still, at that price I could probably afford to buy one and try it out :)

We have a small town municipal water customer with a radio modem network and one of the monitoring stations is hanging on the wall of their police station dispatch office because it is attended 24/7. They wanted a buzzer so they would know to turn around and look at the screen if certain alarms occurred. We used the A/D buzzer and it is not too terrible in that office environment. We did give them the ability to silence it.

In a previous job in a tire plant they used buzzers made by Edwards. They were very loud and heavy duty, and a bit expensive, but they are adjustable. There is a little set screw that you can tighten to dampen the vibration of the speaker element. The problem with that was that anyone with a hex key set and a little know how, could turn them all the way down rendering them pretty useless. That was a noisy factory floor, and the buzzers and bells were important. The fix for that was to move them to about 12 feet off the floor so you had to be a maintenance tech with a lift to reach them to make adjustments:

https://www.grainger.com/product/16...kwcid=AL!2966!3!284662605043!!!g!572984092792!

If you REALLY want to customize this application, you could use one of these from Eletech. I use them for plant announcements and have used a lot of them in amusement parks. Might be overkill but you can use any sound you want.

I was at a shop and they had one of these on their HiLo saying "Caution - Backing Up" in a robot voice, instead of a reverse beeper.

To me it sounded more like "Coffee Is Ready"

If you REALLY want to customize this application, you could use one of these from Eletech. I use them for plant announcements and have used a lot of them in amusement parks. Might be overkill but you can use any sound you want.
Interesting! Probably not quite the right fit here, but I'm glad I know they exist now ;)

ASF said:
Criteria in order of importance are: 24VDC, low (or adjustable) volume, compact, 22mm mounting.

If the one you find is fixed than just use a resistor to drop the voltage to 20 and it will be not as loud and another to drop to 18 v if its still too loud, I have done this in the pat but also went with a seperate light, the lower voltage also lowered the brightness of the lamp, the ones I use now are good enough I can put the full voltage to them and they are not that loud and they are a combo light/buzzer

Its a 1:06 into the video https://www.plccable.com/allen-brad...plc-training-l24er-compactlogix-rslogix-5000/

I was at a shop and they had one of these on their HiLo saying "Caution - Backing Up" in a robot voice, instead of a reverse beeper.

To me it sounded more like "Coffee Is Ready"

This reminded me of South Korean shipyard cranes... they play songs instead of beeping so it's less annoying. Of course, there's the downside that a song is much harder to get out of your head than a beeping sound.