Two 1788-ENBT cards in a FlexLogix?

RonJohn

Lifetime Supporting Member
One of our systems runs on a FlexLogix 1794-L34 processor with a 1788-ENBT for plant network access and a 1788-CNC for remote I/O. The current I/O network consists of two 1794 Flex racks.

They want to add another I/O device to the system but it's limited to EthernetIP. Is it possible to convert the remote I/O to EthernetIP by replacing the CNC with a second ENBT card and putting 1794-AENT adaptors in the Flex racks? I'm not finding any info out there to say whether or not this is possible or advisable.

If this is possible, what caveats are there? I've worked with practically every other A-B controller before not FlexLogix.

I'm suggesting that we upgrade to a 5380 CompactLogix but not sure the folks upstairs will go for that $$$.

Thanks in advance.

That's a great question !

A faster and cheaper approach: add a NAT router between the enterprise network and the controller, then re-address the existing 1788-ENBT to a local LAN address. Put the new device in the I/O tree for that ENBT.

My understanding is that the 1788-ENBT and 1788-CNC were a little less powerful than their 1756-ENBT and -CNB Series B counterparts, back in the day. You could mix them in the two daughtercard slots of the FlexLogix, route messages through the FlexLogix virtual backplane, and run both I/O and unscheduled messaging on either one. But they had both absolute connection limits and practical limits of how many connections at what RPI they would support.

Thanks Ken.
It turns out that they also want to add a socket connection device, so that rules out the FlexLogix altogether. Looks like it'll be upgrading to the 5380 CompactLogix after all.

Another alternative: a Red Lion Edge Controller. It doesn't have NAT built in, but it does have some port-to-port IP routing capability.

It can happily talk to a "socket" device with its own onboard program, then send data to the FlexLogix with Rockwell's native CIP protocol.

Upgrades have to happen eventually, of course. I just like to retain working gear that's not too far past its service life.