SLC Triac Output card... output shorted on.

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just looking to learn something today.... My understanding is that an output shorting on a SLC Triac card is a pretty standard card failure, with the remedy being replacement. But since this will be my first service call with that issue, I thought I'd take a moment and confirm. Is there anything else notable with those cards? Any known issues?

I thought I'd take a moment and confirm. Is there anything else notable with those cards? Any known issues?

Seen it a couple of times and its the norm... I dont know of any other issues with them but when building/designing a system its good to keep in mind from the safety side

I have a few minutes before I need to leave, so I did a quick search on the board. I hear mention about Triacs leaking, and I'm trying to figure out if this is where I should try using a pull-down resistor first.

I guess I'll need to measure the current first before choosing a resistor.

I'm thinking about the card, and how to install the resistor. Do I just put the resistor in series, hooking up one end to the wire, and the other end to the output terminal?

Triacs with no load can appear to be turned on. Once a load is applied the voltage should drop to zero.

triacs will bite you if you are not careful..

my boss had a sq, d wiggy and his tester showed the outputs off.
when I unwired the output, I got lit up.

I used my fluke 87 and the outputs were on.
if memory server me correctly, you need a 25ma. load on the output for pull down current. but that's from my plc2 days.

james