RSLogix 5000 software v1 through v9 only work with Floppy type activations.

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
My original post: A customer has a minor recoverable fault on his Control Logix 5550, and needs V6.01 to go online.

FYI: Update as of Sunday night....

I found and downloaded v6.01. The operating system is Windows NT v.4, SP 5.

I now have a Windows NT 4, SP 6 Virtual Machine ready for RSLogix.

I was getting ready to create an ISO to install RS Logix 5000 on the VM and I noticed the activation note... (see below)

"RSLogix 5000 software v1 through v9 only work with Floppy type activations."

Ugh... my activations are on Factory Talk. I'm trying to figure out if I've hit a dead-end.

2020-01-12_22-00-26.png

If all you need to do is to reset the fault, you can probably install it and just run it using the 7 day grace period. As long as you don't install/open the software until less than 7 days before you intend to go onsite. I don't imagine anyone would get too upset at you for that - the grace period exists for a reason, and you have the correct license. Otherwise, you may have to find a USB floppy disk, and/or reach out to your RA distributor for help.

I don't think grace period existed until well into FactoryTalk activation; v16 is my recollection.

I haven't had to handle one of these for more than ten years when I was still with RA; we used a Toolkit activation and set the Windows NT 4.0 operating system clock to a date within its valid range.

This is a great opportunity to pitch an upgrade to a controller that can be worked on with modern operating systems.

I think there is a EVMOVECF activation that should work instead of floppy. TN 31319.
But you actually need to get activation floppy first.

Before you open RSL5K make a copy of the VM in another location, or another hard drive.

Then open it, the EVRSI activation should popup a grace period - at least it does on RSL5 & RSL500.

When the 7 days is up overwrite the VM with the archived copy and it will be brand new again.

If using VMWare when you open a copy it will ask if you copied it or moved it - always say you moved it and it will remain intact. If you say you copied it it will create a new VM based on the data in the copy and you may lose licenses and activations of Windows and other software.

My next hurdle... RSLinx!

I have licenses for both Logix 5000 and 500. So I'm assuming I can download RSLinx for ALL versions of Logix 5000... all the way back to the one I'm trying to install, v6.01. But I went to the download center and looked at Classic Lite (free) and it appears to only be for more current versions, not for Windows NT 4.

The earliest version of RSLinx available is compatible with Windows NT. I tried to download it, but I have to have proof of entitlement, which I don't have. So I've hit another roadblock. Does anyone know how to get past this? As the attached screen captures show, I need to have RSLinx installed before RSLogix 6.01 will install on Windows NT4.

Any thoughts?

Logix5000.png