Here we go, Winodws 8

Anyone put a FTV client on windows 8? If so any luck.
No, hope I never have to.
Windows 8 is reminiscent of Vista IMHO. Not conducive to today's "Industrial" applications.
You can force W8 to look and act more like W7 though, that may be an option for you. An internet search will bring back lots of tutorials and tips for that.

Sure seems like every "other" version of Windows is horrible for this stuff and in general. Any time Microsoft tries something "new" with their OS I usually skip it and migrate to the version after it.

on my laptop at home i have vm's loded onto windows 8 and was able to remote to the plant. haven't tried to connect to plc's yet.
i agree, windows 8 is horrible to put it mildly when it comes to being industrial app friendly.

i installed "windows classic shell" from off the internet and boy what a difference that made. it looks like the familiar windows 7 screen on that tile.

if it wasn't for that, i would have ghosted windows 8 for safety and installed windows 7 pro 64 bit.

regards,
james

I would avoid it for the time being, but you can experiment with a Windows 8 VM and see what happens. I've only loaded Rockwell PLC programming software on a Windows 8 VM and it works w/o issue.

I suspect FTView would work with minor issue as well, now that they are past the 32/64 bit situation I would think things will be a smoother transition to Windows 8.

For us new clients will use Windows 7 Pro 32 bit, 64 bit if the software we are installing is 64 bit compatible.

My $0.02

After the 8.1 update comes out it MIGHT be easier to work with. Booting directly to the desktop, which was possible in the preview version but was removed for the production run, will be returning in the the update which is coming out pretty soon. When I get the time I will be trying all my Process control related apps just to know what to expect. As it is my Win8 machines are just for routine Office work, and they are fine for that.

The big push from MS and Apple was to go to the "cloud". The vision was on of all the apps you need delivered or served from the "cloud"(i.e. Office 365, Azure etc). If that vision was adopted then our vendors would follow suit and the metro interface would work for us. But now with programs like PRISM exposed, the cloud is not nearly as pretty as they sold it to be.

But having said all that, if all your work is done on the desktop (as mine is) and not in Metro ( or whatever the patent lawyers decide it can be called) there isn't much point in moving to Win8 except to get a leg up on the future versions of that which we will all be forced to deal with.

For us new clients will use Windows 7 Pro 32 bit, 64 bit if the software we are installing is 64 bit compatible.

Have anybody seen some 64 bit application?
In my new laptop have 8 processors, however all applications uses only one.

We are doing nuclear power plants and they will be stopped after 110 years after cooling and 60 years production. I'm wondering what kind of OS will be after 110 years and what is Step7 version?