on digital field device going to two remote i/O

Charbel

dear,

i was looking at a document where it is showing one digital field device connected to a terminal strip and then using a jumper from field side, on the other side the two terminal strips are connected to two digital input signals.
is this acceptable? what are the drawbacks? is it better to use a splitter?

please see picture attached.

thanks!

charbel

dual input modules.jpg

To me, it is technically practical to do that. However you will need to check the sensor spec to make sure that it can supply the load of both inputs.

Practically, I don't know why you would bring the same sensor into 2 separate PLC inputs. What are you trying to gain?

dear,

on the field side, digital type switches would be connected (dry contacts) and the two digital input modules for same field device will be connected each to a PLC so that we will be having dual redundant PLC's.

thanks!

Charbel

one digital field device going to two remote i/O

please see attached, safe PLC and remote I/O's are being used from Siemens.

thanks for let me know if this connection from field device to remote I/O's is acceptable and will not cause any short from one I/O module to the other or any other problem.

thanks!

charbel

Redundant PLC.jpg