Micrologix 1400 to controllogix L71

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I usually work with siemens and the TIA portal but a customer has a series of cabinets I do with Micrologix and Panelview Plus 6, I haven't done the programming for it but I have done modifications and I'm pretty familiar with the programming enviorment in the RSlogix micro.

The customer has got an demand from the end customer to have the cabinet with ControlLogix. How hard is it for me to program a ControlLogix controller from scratch, giving that I haven't worked with it yet.

From what I think I know is that the ControlLogix is a asynchronous plc compared to micrologix that is synchronous? This probably will be the biggest step for me?

The program is a really small program with 20IN and 16OUT 2ANALOG IN. A HMI and a Powerflex 4M. Maybe I need to change the VFD? It communicates via modbus rtu right now.

I personally thinks this is a completely waste of money to put this high end class PLC in out cabinet but they want an price offer and I can just say that they should get someone in that can program it for them, or I take it on to myself.

I know the program and functions of the system in my sleep so that isn't an issue here, it is the unfamiliarity of the programming platform and hardware.

Just some helpfull thoughts and inputs would be appreciated

/Tim

There will be a learning curve, you'll probably find the RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000 programming to be more similar to TIA then the RS500. Review some of the sample code that accompanies the installation of 5000 s/w and you'll get a better idea.

Well...Firstly, ControlLogix would definitely be an overkill for a MicroLogix replacement...CompactLogix will be the way to go...The 'lowest' of the CompactLogix family (1769-L16ER-BB1B)- would cost around $1600 when compared with the 'lowest' ControlLogix (1756-L71) which runs some $6000...The ControlLogix is chassis based and quite pricey when it comes to any type of hardware.

The 'migration' from RSLogix 500 to RSLogix 5000 is not quite as drastic as it might appear when comparing the CPUs' capabilities; the I/O vs. program scan lack of synchronicity could be easily mitigated via user application and, for a simple, small project, the available, RSLogix 5000/Logix Designer "PLC/SLC-to-Logix Translation Tool" could be very efficient in converting a RSLogix 500 application into a RSLogix 5000/Logix Designer one.

Of course that 'writing' the new Logix project from scratch would be the preferred method of implementation, however, if you are on a tight schedule and not quite ready to train-on-the-job with a new platform, then you could rely on the available Logix migration tools.

Last edited:
Yes only the ControlLogix (they also want redundancy) itself will be much more expensive then our standard cabinet. This is only in the early quote stadium and if they want me to do it I will give myself plenty of time.

Yes only the ControlLogix (they also want redundancy) itself will be much more expensive then our standard cabinet. This is only in the early quote stadium and if they want me to do it I will give myself plenty of time.

You will indeed need ControlLogix if intending to implement controller Redundancy.

I'd say you will have a very steep hill to climb when implementing a Redundant ControlLogix system when familiar only with the MicroLogix platform.

The project will need to be built from scratch and will introduce new communications challenges since the Redundancy will need to be implemented over EtherNet/IP or ControlNet.

Rockwell's Literature Library will be your most visited site for awhile, however, the available documentation is plentiful and quite accurate

http://search.rockwellautomation.co...roductcategory:Not Specified&sort=date:D:R:d1

Then this Forum will most likely help if you hit a snag; going from MicroLogix to Redundant ControlLogix is like taking possession of a new Volvo XC90 after driving a Saab 96 for twenty years...:D

Yes, it seems a bit over my head. Alot to read but alot to learn. I will try to talk them out of it, and the price will also probably scare them away. Anyway I wan't to give an really rough quotating.

The customer is also saying that "if each machine has its own PLC we don't need redundant but an spare PLC on the shelf" this will help me ofcoarse but they still wan't quote for redundant :)

Yes, it seems a bit over my head. Alot to read but alot to learn. I will try to talk them out of it, and the price will also probably scare them away. Anyway I wan't to give an really rough quotating.

The customer is also saying that "if each machine has its own PLC we don't need redundant but an spare PLC on the shelf" this will help me ofcoarse but they still wan't quote for redundant :)

First of all, a Redundant ControlLogix system, just 'CPU-wise', will cost some $6000 more than a 'regular' ControlLogix one(you will need two 1756-L71s), which itself will cost some three times more than a CompactLogix system;

Then is it going to be only a 'Redundant CPU' or a 'Redundant System? Most of the Logix Redundant systems provide CPU and Local I/O + Communications redundancy.

Study the Logix5000 Redundancy Manual at http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1756-um535_-en-p.pdf for acquiring of the 'big-picture' costs; maybe you could scare them into going CompactLogix...:D

Yes I got the impression that I needed to make a exact copy of the ControlLogix chassis and then add some modules to get a redundant system.

My mission is to scare them into stick with the MicroLogix system:unsure:

MicroLogix to CompactLogix transition is pretty 'mild' and cost effective.

Even if you are familiar and comfortable with the MicroLogix systems, I would probably not recommend MLs for new projects which are intended to perform and be supported well into the future. Logix platforms are continuously being improved and developed while the MicroLogix controllers are a quite 'mature' product which does not seem to be 'updated' anymore even if currently still available and supported.

MicroLogix to CompactLogix transition is pretty 'mild' and cost effective.

Even if you are familiar and comfortable with the MicroLogix systems, I would probably not recommend MLs for new projects which are intended to perform and be supported well into the future. Logix platforms are continuously being improved and developed while the MicroLogix controllers are a quite 'mature' product which does not seem to be 'updated' anymore even if currently still available and supported.

I see what you mean but we have standard cabinets that are always programmed the same and built the same to the customer. This is already done with MicroLogix today, the customer just wan't to replace it. So if they descide not to go with ControlLogix it will be the standard MicroLogix :)

If I have my say we will switch over to Siemens ;)