Compactlogix remote I/O - Recomendations & IS I/O

Friedrich

Hi all!

I'm using CompactLogix for the first time (CPU L33ER). I've got everything up and running with some local I/O and some remote SLC 500 I/O. Now I need to expand further and was looking for your input regarding what I/O tu use.
I'm looking at continuing using Ethernet/IP for the new remote I/O.
I've looked at the Point IO and 1769-AENTR. I'm leaning towards using the 1769-AENTR so spare parts are kept at a minimum.

And another question; Intrinsically safe inputs (namur) are also of interest. Does these exist for the Compactlogix, or do you have to use the old Flex I/O via Controlnet?

Point I/O is a cost effective In-Cabinet Modular distributed I/O; it had some quality issues in the past, however, lately I am not aware of any issues.

The Chassis based 1769 I/O modules are quite a bit more expensive, however, they are at least a class above Point I/O when it comes to capabilities and granularity.

As for Intrinsically Safe distributed I/O, Allen Bradley offers the 1719-Ex I/O platform- http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/IO/In-Cabinet-Modular/1719-Ex-IO

AB still offers the 1797-Flex Ex I/O too, however, the Flex Ex will be discontinued at the end of this year.