PLC card selector

chrismarek

Is it possible to program in RSLogix500 where you can make a multi controller.
I want to set up a standard program that can select and configure what PLC expansion modules are in it.

I would have the PLC linked to the HMI and depending on what you select in the HMI I want it to configure the PLC program.

The PLC must be configured using RSLogix500 for the cards installed in a rack. If there is a discrepancy, the processor will fault.

I know you have to configure it in RSLogix 500 but can you some how incoporate that in the ladder logic? That way when you click on the HMI buttons it will automatically configure it with the code? Or you will have to configure in controller properties no matter what?

You could set bits by the PanelView (presumably password protected) and then use those bits in subsequent JSR commands where the subroutines run the associated code that you want.

You should use internal tags for the I/O. After selecting the hardware, you will need to connect the internal bits to the actual I/O. Unless you have some template programs that actually have configured I/O, you will need to do some programming to connect to the real equipment.

Last edited:
I know you have to configure it in RSLogix 500 but can you some how incoporate that in the ladder logic? That way when you click on the HMI buttons it will automatically configure it with the code? Or you will have to configure in controller properties no matter what?

Helliana gave you the answer, but didn't mention the one thing that blows your idea away.

The SLC checks the I/O is "as configured" before it even runs any of the user code, so any attempt to get the SLC to "auto-add" the I/O modules is doomed to failure.