Automatin Direct Changes Download

ArikBY

Hi

After few months of reading lot of compliment about AD PLCs in this site and of course the price I decided to try to use their PLCs.
I bought DL-05 and start to write simpel program.What the most bother me is what happen when I down load changes while the program is running.I wrote start stop with one push button and it stay ON after I download the changes.
Is that mean I can run my machine, change my program without any problems.?
From previous experience with AB SLC500 Omron and Modicon I know what it mean On-Line Edit.I made chanches without interference the program running.
Can someone explain me how it work here.

Thanks in advance

There are a couple of different download modes with the ADC software. If you are using the DirectNet protocol you must turn the PLC from run to stop/program mode. That will stop your process and put your I/O in default state.

With K-Sequence protocol, you can use the above mode, or you can do a run-time download without stopping the PLC ladder logic. In many cases this will leave the PLC in its operating state before the download, but in other cases, if you have initialization routines or such, your machine will stop.

Note that this is not true run time edit like A-B, but rather a download without pausing the scan. In my opinion the ability to save and download variable memory separate from logic more than offsets the lack of true run time editing.

I would throw in that,

Yes, one can download a program change to the PLC, but as the download is happening, the current output state is "Frozen" at the moment you click "OK"

Can be OK or you can crash the machine, definitely a procedure that must be weighed CAREFULLY.....

You must ask yourself first "Is it really necessary to make the change at that moment???"

Last edited:
Tom

Thqank you for clearing me this issue.
I use K-sequence so I guess I am on the right track.
One more question,Do you have any simpel idea to force bit with out the long path PLC-SETUP-OVERRIDES?

Yes.

Create a data view window. Use the properties menu item for options, and enable read/write mode and enable overrides. Type the address(es) in the left hand column that you want to play with. Use your mouse to turn on the override in the right hand column, and use the PLC symbol at the top to send it to the PLC. Use the mouse to turn the coil on or off, and use the PLC symbol at the top to send it to the PLC. Repeat as required. You can send single data points or multiple points at once.

Play with the menus a bit, Arik. The software has some neat stuff.

paradym

Its true for evry change you doing in your program,no mater if you do it on-line or off line you can crash your machine if you made wrong judgment.
BTW I like your signature.

It's best not to do a run time edit, if you do not take care you could crash a machine, or worse, put another or yourself in grave danger. Even a poorly written offline edit can cause problems once you put the processor On-line.

On a system I installed, the program has 1000+ rungs on a 350 CPU, the download can take up to 3 minutes to finish.

On occasion, when no critical operations or operators are around, and safe to do so, I have done a "Run Time" edit and the system will keep going, but the processor will not acknoledge any input change of state (Start/Stop PB's etc) and the last state on the outputs is where the systems runs at till the download is complete.

Not something one would want to try on a bottling line or some other types of equipment.

BTW ArikBY- Thanks feel free to "Pass it on" :)

Last edited:
Tom

I follow your order and I didnot find where to write the bit I want to change.
Do I must to be on line to see it or not?
I use Direct soft 32 V4.0

paradym

That what scary me, my big systems is bakery lines, hundreds and thousand
I/O I can not afford my self to stop the line while I do some changes
for 3 minuntes or so.
Thanks for the tip.

ArikBY said:
One more question,Do you have any simpel idea to force bit with out the long path PLC-SETUP-OVERRIDES?

With the element highlighted on the ladder, you can click the "Y2=" icon to bring up the "Change Value" screen. If your hands are currently on the keyboard, CTRL+SHIFT+F2 does the same thing.

You'll find that DirectSOFT is VERY intuitive!... :cool:

[EDIT] "Change Value" is not a true FORCE. It simply lets you toggle bits. The program will override the change if the bit is written to in the ladder.

beerchug

-Eric

Last edited:
Eric

Thanks

Ctrl-Shift-F3 is not work but Ctrl-Shift-F2 bring data 1 table.
I dont have icon with Y2=
I think I got the idea.
I will bring the PLC to my home on sunday and I will try to do it on-line.
Could you please refer me to Direct Logic 32 book I have only the quick start manual.

Thanks in advance

The "Y2=" icon looks like this (only visible when you're online):
[attachment]
See page 27 of the Quick Start manual.

A-D does not have the 'full' manual available online (I don't know why). You should have received one with your software though.

beerchug

-Eric

y2.jpg

ArikBY

Welcome to the club!

My opinions (for what their worth)

1. I only do runtime edits on non-critical changes such as adding a parrell contact or adding another rung etc. I will agree with the others that it can be very spooky in the real world. However if your machine and hardwire circuit is desinged properly the plc shouldnt be allowed to act in an unsafe manner. In the case of our elevator control panels, turning on all of the outputs on the PLC wouldnt by itself cause the elevator to operate in a dangerous manner.

2. If you really want to play hard and learn all about directsoft and all of the instructions etc. get a DL-06 DR to experiment with. It's well worth the extra 100 bucks. Extra features inclue an optional LCD display, Flash Ram, more instructions, a clock /calander, and a slew of option modules like analog I/O and Hi speed counter, Enet etc..

Have fun!

Mike.

ArikBY said:
Somehow I got only PDF of Quick Start I checked my CD I have only the software.
I will look for that.

I meant you should have received a HARDCOPY (paper) manual with your software. For some reason, they don't sell it separately (see THIS link).

Don't be too concerned. The Quick Start manual tells you pretty much all you need to know... (y)

BTW, you can ignore Mike's #2 opinion. Yes, the DL06 is a powerhouse, but the DL05 if plenty enough PLC to get yourself acquainted with A-D stuff. C'mon Mike, at least Arik didn't buy a DL105... :D

Hopefully you didn't buy the 'DL05/105 only' software. You can't upgrade it to use with a different model... :(

beerchug

-Eric