Control logix -change cpu

Hi,

great response....I was worried about the devicenet devices as if something goes wrong with them my Rsnetworks not working properly :(... all other things some how I can manage.. also there are HMI's connected to old cpu. So I believe I have to again assign the runtime shortcut to all HMI's right?

Thanks
sandeep

Caution

Word of caution....

If you never did flash firmware before I strongly advise when you do, use UPS for supplying the CLX during the process and keep cats and dogs out of the house. If power fails or anything interrupts the process you have a chance to transform your handsome 3K processor into a brick.

Holding your breath might help too:unsure:

Word of caution....

If you never did flash firmware before I strongly advise when you do, use UPS for supplying the CLX during the process and keep cats and dogs out of the house. If power fails or anything interrupts the process you have a chance to transform your handsome 3K processor into a brick.

Holding your breath might help too:unsure:

This hasn't been the case since the L6x series were launched.

Older L5x series used to "flash" the memory during the transfer, and yes it was critical to keep the power on, or the memory image would be corrupted, and possibly bricking the unit.

L6x and L7x series transfer the flash files into internal memory first, and then flash from there internally. The likelihood of the actual flashing failing due to power-loss is miniscule, as it happens so quickly.

Also in the L6x and later scheme, if any errors occur during a flash upgrade, the unit reverts to the "out-of-the-box" firmware, V1.9 or similar. Simple flash it again.

Aha

Good to know.

Honestly did not flash any CLX recently, but on my time seen some bricked even on proper supply. Of course they were replaced on warranty, but after seen that I got the habit on doing any flashing with ups supply.

So today I will do it same. Better safe than sorry:D

Good to know.

Honestly did not flash any CLX recently, but on my time seen some bricked even on proper supply. Of course they were replaced on warranty, but after seen that I got the habit on doing any flashing with ups supply.

So today I will do it same. Better safe than sorry:D

If you have the luxury of having a UPS, fine, use it. Ax you say, nothing can go wrong then.

But wait.... how do you connect to your processor? Are there any mains-powered switches, routers or gateways involved? What about the PC, laptop battery seviceable ?

As I said, I prefer safe.

Always from laptop straight to ethernet port. I have several laptops, each one has battery changed every two years. If there is not ethernet port I go serial, but I really dislike because is slow. And I don't use usb-serial adapters, only pcmcia-rs232.

If it's in my office there is always an ups. If it's at the client site, I explain the risks and always an ups pops-up.

And yes, if there is an audience I tell them holding breath might help...:) usually relaxes the atmosphere.

Anyway in the last 15 years I never bricked one, so I am happy.

I have downloaded 1756-L7x_20.011.FW.exe from rockwell now...is it required for flashing?/? or I can directly download the program without flashing the firmware as some people telling no need of firmware for rslogix 5000 v20...

You need the firmware nonetheless.

As everyone told you: either you flash and download backed program, or you try do download and controlflash utility pops up for flashing and after that download can continue.....

Go for it..... but do your homework before.

I'll repeat what has been said before...

You have worked on this project at version 20, so you must have installed V20.... ergo, you will almost certainly already have the V20 firmware for ControlFlash to use.

Go for the download, and when the flash utility pops up it is most likely you will have the V20 firmware ready to flash the new processor.

I have downloaded 1756-L7x_20.011.FW.exe from rockwell now...is it required for flashing?/? or I can directly download the program without flashing the firmware as some people telling no need of firmware for rslogix 5000 v20...

No-one has said that you don't need it, because you definitely do need it, but you have been told that you most likely already have it.... it may be language causing confusion....

Always from laptop straight to ethernet port. I have several laptops, each one has battery changed every two years. If there is not ethernet port I go serial, but I really dislike because is slow. And I don't use usb-serial adapters, only pcmcia-rs232.

If it's in my office there is always an ups. If it's at the client site, I explain the risks and always an ups pops-up.

And yes, if there is an audience I tell them holding breath might help...:) usually relaxes the atmosphere.

Anyway in the last 15 years I never bricked one, so I am happy.

Everyone has to flash a processor at least once... check my avatar and see what i do and where i work... i must have flashed processors several hundred times in the last 15 years, and I've never bricked one either.

It's only the L5x series I worry about, because it updates during download, that's when you desperately want the power to stay on, and no errors in the transfer. You definitely don't want to be doing this via the serial port... unless you've got several hours to kill, and a lot of fingernail to bite on.

Don't forget you can always put the processor to be flashed into any chassis that you already have ethernet access to, without concern, any "connection requests" to output modules that are already connected to the existing host controller will be rejected, so you can't affect what the other controller is controlling... Output modules can only have one "owner-controller".

The chassis backplane is just a communications bus, and plugging a module in that is "foreign" to the application will not cause any problems...

daba said:
He should have the firmware files, as he was using V20 with the L71. Presumably he's buying a new L7x controller to replace the L71... He'll be fine, he can just just start the download, and do the upgrading as prompted...

...You were already working with the L71 at whatever firmware it is, so you should already have the firmware files ready to flash your new processor to that same firmware revision...

sandy5020 said:
I have downloaded 1756-L7x_20.011.FW.exe from rockwell now...

daba said:
...You have worked on this project at version 20, so you must have installed V20.... ergo, you will almost certainly already have the V20 firmware for ControlFlash to use...

...you have been told that you most likely already have it...

daba,

There is one other possibility, which I'm sure in your experience you have met before, but perhaps have forgotten...

If the original 1756-L71 is old enough to be a Series A processor, and the replacement L72 is a Series B processor, then a newer firmware kit is required. This goes for any or all of the 1756-L7x Series B processors. Depending on the OP's current programming computer, if they had not dealt with any 1756-L7x Series B processors to date, then their computer will most likely not have the necessary firmware kit. It would have to be downloaded from Rockwell first.

The only actual difference between the Series A and B processors is that some of the component tolerances were increased to meet SIL2 approval.

sebastianp said:
Always from laptop straight to ethernet port. I have several laptops, each one has battery changed every two years. If there is not ethernet port I go serial, but I really dislike because is slow. And I don't use usb-serial adapters, only pcmcia-rs232...

Don't forget, another option for flashing the newer Logix processors is the USB port.

Regards,
George

Thanks for all the info related to firmware...

now If i remove the old cpu and insert new CPU do I have to reconfigure the IP address or I can select boottp

Tomorrow I am going to upgrade this CPU, I have updated the program in new CPU from office...I just want to know if there any issue will occur with HMI or do I have to reconfigure the communication in all HMI's

Sandy