Avery Weigh Tronix ZM303 Ethernet/IP

Communication Timeout

Has anyone had trouble with the communication from the ZM303 indicator timing out? I am able to read the gross weight at my PLC but intermittently the scale just stops sending information.

I end up having to unplug the indicator in order to get it to reestablish communication. Avery has been useless for trying to get help.

Ethernet. I have the general communication module working thanks to the other comments in this thread but now it keeps cutting out intermittently. Its been almost a month, we've replaced the indicator once already and it is still happening.

Other info: It is communicating with an 5069-L320ER through 2 Stratix 2000 switches.

Not knowing much about this particular AB device and having no issue with MBTCP com links I can only offer some tips about what could go wrong...

Check IF the AB device is the only one trying to read the Scale indicator. You can easaly do this with wireshark and a dumb switch (HUB) or if the actual switch is managed you can have a port duplicate what is coming and going to the indicator.

Most time when I get them intermitent total com failures it comes from a buffer being filled by bad communication requests or port usage due to data parsing being overused. Sort'a like a dDOS attack. One device not getting the answer they expect is repeating its request thus slowing down the exchange to the point where the receiving buffer is full and alternate port used to exchange data also crowded... Some com will have a fix port max usage of 30 while ethernet port release can take up to 5 minutes.

What I do is time the Data request and the completion time and rate and see if it varies... it should not. EVER.

If it does then find what or who is the culprit on that network which should be quasi deterministic

at least have a com time fairly always the same.

I had once a printer used on a control network... bad idea.

Hope this makes sense and helps a little.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Some possible advice

Just an FYI - B-Tek sells rebranded Weigh-Tronix indicators and their support is a bit better.

As a scale dealer that isn't specifically a Weigh-Tronix dealer, they won't even talk to me.

On a side note, the Rice Lake 880 got a firmware update and their new EDS is great. I've been complaining to them for years about it and it's finally really easy to use. Rice Lake also has the best support in the business through internal tech support and dealer network.

I also like the Rinstrum C520.

EthanofWeigh...We stumbled upon Btek by accident while trying to resolve this issue and you're right they are amazing!

I'll keep the Rice Lake in mind, we weren't sure what to buy for the next few similar machines.

Thank you!
Red

If anyone is willing to share information on ztools as the reps wont budge & dm me I would be forever grateful. They really keep it close to the vest.