factorytalk se move values

whuff

We have conveyor rollers that are used to move product in the process. The rollers are tracked via the plc (PLC5) on the linear footage of product run across them. There are 16 positions, #1 to #16. When the rollers reach a certain point, they are moved from one position to another. For example, #3 can become #8 or #5 depending on the wear diameter. After a certain time they are disposed of. The operators have a current FactoryTalk SE screen that tracks the footage. The screen has button that allows the operator to acknowledge roll changes and moves the current value into the previous value column. The issue lies in when the roller are moved from one position to another. The historical value is then lost. My two options are changing the numerical display to a numerical entry or creating a complex indirect move commands. As any roller can be moved to any other position (i.e. #4 to #6, or #4 to #2), I cannot set up an easy move command. Numerical entry is not desired due to operator error. Does anyone know of an easier way than the indirect addressing to move values (i.e. think windows cut and paste function)?

Last edited:
The issue lies in when the roller are moved from one position to another. The historical value is then lost.
I do not understand what is the "historical value" that is lost. Do you mean the previous roller position is lost, or what?

It seems that you have a one-dimensional data array of only 16 positions, but you really need at least a 3-dimensional data array with "Roller ID", "Current Position Location", and "Accumulated Footage". Knowing these 3 items for all rollers will let you manage them without losing any historical data. You will need a way to identify each physical roller - maybe a serial number or ID that is written or stamped on the roller. You could set these data memory arrays up in the PLC with array addressing, indirect addressing, or 3 FIFO registers that are always loaded and unloaded with the same bit.

Lancie1,
the historical value I was talking about is the previous footage.
I did some more digging (only been with the company 3 weeks) and found that the rollers do have a serial number but not used anywhere. I am also working on converting the PLC 5 to controllogix, so I will be able to set up a custom array and solve the problem with what you suggested above.