Beckhoff Twincat runtime update

CX_Luigi

Lifetime Supporting Member
i bought an used CX1010 to start wetting my fingers in Twincat. The CX has Twincat 2 runtime and WinCe 6.0 installed, in my laptop I installed Twincat 3 and when trying to set a route to the PLC i always get an error 1796/ADS cannot read/write. After lot of searching in internet my understanding is that Twincat 3 installation cannot get routes to earlier runtimes, and thus i need to update/upgrade it in PLC. It is possible to update by myself the PLC with WES 2009 or later, or do i need to keep WinCE installed and update the runtime from 2 to 3? Or the upgraded runtime needs to be bought directly from Beckhoff?

Thanks for your reply Archie, but probably i was not clear in my question. I am not looking to upgrade the processor but the runtime. From what i read that should be possible, and thus the plc can have Twincat 3 runtime inside. Also the license is permanently burned in the hardware so changing the OS, whenever applicable should not be a problem.
Apologies if the questions are trivial, i am just starting and as others remarked, Beckhoff documentation while undoubtely good, needs a lot of patience to dig out relevant informations.

i understood the functionality was separated from the runtime version, and having looked at Twincat 3 i liked a lot the philosophy and use as an extension to Visual Studio.
Will follow your suggestion, and install also Twincat 2, thanks a lot Ivo

I would suggest emailing Beckhoff tech support, they should be able to tell you pretty quick what your options are for this processor. In my case (with a CX9020) they emailed me a FTP link to download the Twincat 3 runtime. (Actually it was the whole WinCE+TC image, which I just copied to the unit's SD card.)

I would expect that your TC runtime license--if you have one--would be wiped out when you upgrade the runtime. However, keep in mind that Twincat 3 has an infinitely-renewable 7-day trial license, which should be adequate if you're just using it for training.

Thanks for your reply Archie, but probably i was not clear in my question. I am not looking to upgrade the processor but the runtime. From what i read that should be possible, and thus the plc can have Twincat 3 runtime inside. Also the license is permanently burned in the hardware so changing the OS, whenever applicable should not be a problem.
Apologies if the questions are trivial, i am just starting and as others remarked, Beckhoff documentation while undoubtely good, needs a lot of patience to dig out relevant informations.
That was my mistake, I was not clear in my post. I should have used the phrase "upgrade the processor's run-time"

Another reason I do not think it is possible, especially with WinCE, is the fact that when you order a processor you have to specify which run-time it comes pre-installed with.

as suggested by ivo_moenen, i downloaded TwinCAT2 and was able to set a route and program it. Furthermore having contacted Beckhoff support they stated the series CX10xx is only useable with TwinCAT2, not 3.
Thanks everyone for their help