Serial RS232 connection with RSLogix 500

pado75

Hi , My problem is to connect, with a serial port RS232, a PLC Allen Bradley with a PC.
I know that into a CPU of PLC there are 2 port :1 is RS232 and 1 is 485 ,but can I use this port RS232 on board for the comunication?
You have same information regarding the port RS232 or how I can do this.

Pado 75,

If I am not wrong your AB PLC type is SLC 5/03, where are two port on the processor (RS232 and DH-485).
If you want to connect your SLC to your computer, you need proper cable that would be connected between them.
As I know this cable is 1747-CP7, or you can make cable your self where configuration is same with 1747-CP7 cable.
After that, you need RSLinx as software communication configurator, and choose AB-DF1 as a driver.
Next, you just need to AUTO CONFIGURATION this driver and check the driver status (it must be running).
Finnaly, browse using RSWho on RSLinx and see there are your workstation/PC and your PLC.
Hope this help.

Regards,

Deer

1747-CP3

I was wrong about cable type, the right cable is 1747-CP3.
Thanks.

Deer

Actually, you can use a standard null modem cable from Radio Shack or wherever to connect to the DB-9 DF1 port on the SLC. You do need to run RSLinx, though. You can usually just use the autoconfigure button on the driver set up in Linx to get the settings right.

Connection a RS232 with a PC realtime

I'm using an Allen Bradley RSLogix 500 plc. I need to communicate the plc with the PC realtime with serial port RS232.
My Question is :
Is possible to use the serial port on board on the CPU of PLC or is necessary to use another addition card (which card)
You can help me with same information

I'm afraid your request isn't totally clear yet.

Are you trying to communicate with the SLC for program downloading and de-bugging from your PC? In that case RSLinx and a null modem cable between the serial port on your PC and the DB-9 port on the SLC's CPU are sufficient.

Are you trying to continuoulsy extract data and status from the PLC to HMI (Human Machine Interface) or SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Aquisition) software? In that case the same hardware will work between the PC and the SLC CPU, but you have to have a driver or other software that supports the DF1 protocol. On some SLC models you can also configure the CPU port to operate with DH-485 protocol.

Note that there are three components required to communicate to any PLC from your PC. The first is the hardware - RS-232 and a null modem cable in your case. The second is software on the PC to display the result - RSLogix for programming and short term monitoring or an HMI program for continuous data display. Third is a communications driver configured with the protocol the port is using - DF1 most probably for you - and using the same data length, baud rate, and parity that the PLC port is using.