1734-aent

S71h

had to replace a 1734-aent series A but when I received the new 1734 I received a series B. my question is will it work on my system I noticed that in the ip web page that in the network configuration page under gateway address it shows a address of 186.192.0.1 and in my old series A installation book it states that the gateway address should be 0.0.0.0
what should I do next because I am not getting a CIP connection, network status seems to be blinking green

One of my customers had me get them some used series A's because they told me that it was a pain to get the B to work when your upgrading... I have no idea what it takes but I know you need to jump through a few hoops

I tried searching but did not find much to help

1st check is can you see it in RSlinx . If so does it have a yellow warning sylbol on it . Sometimes you need to downmload an EDS file when upgrading depending on your version of RSLogix5000 .

Start by making sure that the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway are correct for your application.

186.192.1.0 looks like a typo. You don't need a default gateway for devices that are on the same subnet (the ControlLogix and the 1734-AENT), but you may wish to configure one if your network has a router or gateway on it.

The 1734-AENT Series B is not a drop-in replacement for the Series A; older ControlLogix might need firmware upgrades, or need electronic keying disabled for compatibility.

The exact revisions of firmware for 1734-AENT Series B are described in RA Knowledgebase 585054 (TechConnect Required)

Some relevent info regarding the flashing Green Network Status LED...

630645 - 1734-AENT, 1734-AENTR, 1738-AENT or 1738-AENTR series B flashing green network status LED
Access Level: TechConnect

It to mentions the need to flash upgrade the firmware in certain scanner modules.

S71h said:
...had to replace a 1734-aent series A but when I received the new 1734 I received a series B. my question is will it work on my system...

That would be hard for us to say without knowing more about the wider "system" that the 1734-AENT Series B is being replaced in. If you don't get this sorted using the good advice above, then perhaps you could describe the system in greater detail?

Regards,
George

also don't know if this has anything to do with this issue too but in the 1734 webpage I noticed that the gateway address as 192.168.1.1 IMG_3368.JPG but in the ethernet/ip softlogix5800 ethernet/ip is using address 192.168.1.1 IMG_3369.JPG could this be an issue too

Just to amplify geniusintraining's reply #7 , this should be done in RSLinx by right clicking on the AENT/B . If you are not able to upload from the module , then you can download the EDS file from Rockwell's website and 'register' it in RSLinx .

Just to amplify pal's #3 post that I amplified in #7 and he has done again in #10... have you tried the EDS :D

The presence or absence of the correct EDS file has nothing to do with the ability of the SoftLogix EtherNet/IP module to establish an I/O connection to the 1734-AENT.

It's nice to have it in the RSLinx browse, to be sure. And that's a good way to set the Chassis Size.

But it's just as, and maybe more, important to be sure that the SoftLogix controller is compatible with the 1734-AENT/B module. The first thing to do is figure out what revision of SoftLogix is installed.

The presence or absence of the correct EDS file has nothing to do with the ability of the SoftLogix EtherNet/IP module to establish an I/O connection to the 1734-AENT.

Just trying to help as from his post the yellow question mark was really bothering him....

how do you set the chassis size in RSLinx if it doesn't recognise the module

You cannot. The two other methods include using the Web browser interface and using the Module Profile in RSLogix 5000. (RA Knowledgebase 516130, Access Level Everyone).

It is very easy to register an EDS file from an unrecognized 1734-AENT/B. You can right-click and select "upload EDS", and the software will upload a GZIP file, unzip it, and automatically run the registration tool. That's been a part of RSLinx since version 2.54, almost ten years ago.

It is moderately easy to download the Add-On Profile for the 1734-AENT Series B and install it in RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000. Start with the Add-On Profiles download area of the Rockwell website.

It is also critically important to know the revisions of the controller and Ethernet interface module, to be sure the 1734-AENT is compatible with the SoftLogix controller. I'm concerned that the SoftLogix in this case may be too old to support a 1734-AENT /B, so I'll wait until the original poster has determined her revision numbers.