can you still get Windows XP Pro from Microsoft ...

Ron Beaufort

Lifetime Supporting Member
quick question for a friend of mine:

is there any LEGAL way to upgrade Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro? ... hopefully this can be done through the Microsoft website - but I can't find any way to do it after repeated searches ...

please don't list "hacks" etc. ... we're not interested ...

situation: trying to get RSLinx Lite "free download" - and RSLogix500 "free download" - both to work for "learning purposes" ...

having MANY issues with XP Home not working reliably ...

just supposing that we can't get there from here - what's the next best route? ... Windows 7? ...

thanks ...

I'm thrilled with Windows 7, but you need a pretty resource laden machine to run it well.

If it was me, and I had to have legit Windows XP, I'd find a cheap Dell on eBay with a XP Pro license and go from there. I bet you could pick one up for 50 bucks or so. Try to find one "with media" so you can do a fresh install if necessary.

You could get a Microsoft Technet subscription. This isn't an upgrade, but allows you to download legal copies on many different Microsoft OSs as well as other software packages. the licenses are for developement only though.

Ron -

We are trying to combat this problem as well. From what we can tell Dell is no longer offering the "downgrade to XP" media for new computers, you have to get Windows 7. As I see it, this will become an increasing problem, especially for facilities that have older software that isn't Windows 7 compatible and who have an IT department controlling their computer purchases...good luck getting an XP machine for those legacy software needs!

Anyway, I have become a HUGE proponent of VMWare. Combo a Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL machine with an "XP Mode" virtual machine and you have a solution that keeps pace with new computer trends and a controlling IT department, yet gives you flexibility to maintain your legacy applications within and xp environment. I think the use of virtual machines will explode in the industry over the next few years.

I would seriously consider going this route, new computer w/ Windows 7 Pro (Or buy the upgrade to Win7 pro)and VMware. The virtual machine topic would also be a great course topic!

Typed in windows xp professional into Ebay lots of Legal original Installation disks still available ! OEM versions etc. I suppose amazon will have the same. Have you thought about Windows 7 and then running Windows XP mode ? which comes bundled with Win 7 - automatic installation.
I use it for testing etc and for legacy software all Legal and free with Win 7.
Ah Paully's5.0 you beat me to it He he.Cool.

thanks to all who answered ...

I was trying to put together a "practice at home" system for a friend – using just the free AB downloads for a spare MicroLogix1000 ...

looks like we'll have to find some other way of skinning this particular cat ... we'll try out some of the ideas you've offered and see how far we can go with it ...

thanks again ...

And to the best of my knowledge, there is no upgrade option to upgrade from XP Home to XP Professional. The software essentially has to be reinstalled or installed separately and dual-booted.

Windows 7 (and maybe Vista) does offer this capability but it was never part of XP.

OG

I have had a few customers use the newer version of RSLogix and a older version of RSLinx for the trainers and it has worked very good for them,

hi Mark ...

was that while using XP "HOME" - or did they have XP "PRO" installed? ...

we could live with that approach - if it would work OK with "HOME" edition ...