New to AB PLCs

halosome

Hi guys, from now on I am going to work with AB PLCs (company strategy?). I had lots of experiece with PLCs but not with AB brand. What I 'm going to deal are small systems, a typical one is AI*12, AO*4, DI*8, DO*20. For such systems, I am wondering which one of AB families, SLC, micrologic, compactlogix etc. is the best match, and has a better prospect in future application?
It would be great if soemone can have a brief comparison.

Do you have any other AB in the plant? Do you already have AB software? If yes to either of those, I'd recommend keeping with the family you already use for standardization purposes.

I'm inclined to think you have no AB right now. If that's the case, I would highly recommend going with the 5000 family -- for that size of system, the CompactLogix.

Certainly the SLC/Micrologix family is very capable of meeting your needs, but it is an older platform. If you're just starting, I would suggest getting into the latest/greatest.

Plus, I really, really like working with ControlLogix and CompactLogix.

Can you give more info on the applications... and what kind of budget do you have??

Do you need analog? hi speed counters? what kind of communication? ethernet?

geniusintraining said:
Can you give more info on the applications... and what kind of budget do you have??

Do you need analog? hi speed counters? what kind of communication? ethernet?

I read his post as 4 Analoue Outs and 12 Analogue Ins + Dig IO

504bloke said:
I read his post as 4 Analoue Outs and 12 Analogue Ins + Dig IO

Then I would look at the budget... 5000 series are very good but they are not cheap also if you need the software

500 may be the best if you have 500 in your plant also if you have DH+ and if this is going to be part of a bigger application..

Like I said more info on the machine/application would help, any HMI's?

Just more detail, but in general 500 or 5000 I would try and go with

FWIW,

Everything new that we do is ControlLogix or CompactLogix, unless we need a fixed IO brick, then we use MicroLogix (when will AB bring out a CLX brick?). The CompactLogix costs less than the SLC 500.

Thank you guys.

The company just reorgnized itself, and it will start from new, and hmm i am new too. The company used to use slc500, but it is going to buy new software, so it's the time if I present 'proper' reasons , i believe, the company will adopt my suggestion.

the projects used to be small, and normally seperated from each other. Normally there is a panelview for each system. Since there were usually several systems in one plant, I 'd like to have them able to upgrade to network for the future.

I just talked to one of the suppliers, and was told SLC is cheaper than CompactLogic. are you sure, Alaric, CompactLogix costs less than the SLC 500? Actually I feel I like CompactLogix better, just a kind of feeling from your guys' advices.

The SLC 500 series of controllers is AB's last generation of controllers. Although I'm sure it will be around for another 20 years if you are starting from scratch you should be using compact or control logix.

Logix 5000 comes in a variety of flavors and costs. I'm surprised your AB rep would try to push SLC's?, all in all compact logix should be cheaper.

no, he didn't push SLC, he just said the price goes down from Controllogic to Compact to SLC to micro.

halosome said:
I just talked to one of the suppliers, and was told SLC is cheaper than CompactLogic. are you sure, Alaric, CompactLogix costs less than the SLC 500? Actually I feel I like CompactLogix better, just a kind of feeling from your guys' advices.

He is probably comparing only a CompactLogix processor to a SLC 5/03 processor.

When you add in the IO and your power supply and make an "apples to apples" comparison (to the extent one is possible), such as an L32E to a SLC5/05, along with IO, the CompactLogix is cheaper.

Ask your supplier for an actual quote.

halosome said:
no, he didn't push SLC, he just said the price goes down from Controllogic to Compact to SLC to micro.

it depends on what CMPLX or which SLC do you use there are many !!! different kinds of both systems. But the biggest SLC CPU is more expensive than the biggest Compact Logix CPU !! But when you start, there should be no discussion about the system !! The only CPU for you is 1769L32E the List Price in Germany is 2000,- Euro, but who pays the list price ?!?!

And be sure, if you once program RSLogix5000, you would never use another system !!

Regards

Bernd

my boss will definetly buy 500 if I don't say anything. so I will follow your guys' advices and write something about the advantage of 5000 to him.

Thanks a lot!