You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 8th, 2019, 08:02 AM   #1
Cajmccormick
Canada

anybus rs232 to ethernet

has anyone used an anybus module or some sort of serial to ethernet converter with a control logix plc? If so how did you translate/parce specific serial data into the plc via ethernet.

thanks
Old February 8th, 2019, 09:14 AM   #2
Firejo
United States

I've not used the Anybus device however I do know of a way to easily do what you are trying to do and you won't need to convert/translate any data.
Spectrum Controls is about to release their new Universal Gateway which will bridge a ControlLogix PLC to a serial device as long as the serial device is either DF1 or Modbus RTU (or ASCII).
You can reach out to their application support for more detailed information (it really is very simple to use)

https://www.spectrumcontrols.com/pro...ersal-gateway/
Old February 8th, 2019, 10:11 AM   #3
RoTaTech
Canada

Serial to EtherNet

I worked on a Contrologix to CanBus Anybus about a year ago. I did not write the code, but I did have to debug some of it.

If I still have the code I will browse through to see if it may help you.
Old February 8th, 2019, 10:26 AM   #4
Cajmccormick
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoTaTech View Post
I worked on a Contrologix to CanBus Anybus about a year ago. I did not write the code, but I did have to debug some of it.

If I still have the code I will browse through to see if it may help you.
that would be great thank you
Old February 8th, 2019, 01:26 PM   #5
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

What exact model of HMS device are you using ?

Is the data bi-directional, or uni-directional ?

How is the data encoded ? Ordinary ASCII with carriage returns and line feeds ? Fixed-length strings ? Data delimited by time ?
Old February 8th, 2019, 02:22 PM   #6
Cajmccormick
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Roach View Post
What exact model of HMS device are you using ?

Is the data bi-directional, or uni-directional ?

How is the data encoded ? Ordinary ASCII with carriage returns and line feeds ? Fixed-length strings ? Data delimited by time ?
It is an HMS-EN2SE-R;

Data will be bi-directional;

Ordinary ASCII Data;
Old February 10th, 2019, 09:52 PM   #7
DwSoFt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Canada

I use the redlion dsp quite often for this
Phoenix Energy Services
Old February 10th, 2019, 10:36 PM   #8
Geoff White
Australia

The anybus is quite good if you need to roll your own protocol.

I had to use it to talk to a bunch of rs485 multidropped digital position indicators and it was reasonable straightforward.

Configure data exchange dialogs and schedules and it will automatically extract/insert data from the stream and create CRCs and checksums if required. The data is exchanged to the plc as a memory image.

If it is something well known you can probably get something off the shelf to do it for you.
Old February 12th, 2019, 04:06 AM   #9
NetNathan
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I have used Anybus for RS232 to Ethernet IP before. It took a little to set it up, but Anybus tech support is quite good.
After they know you are trying to do it your self and are struggling, they will help.
I had a real nice lady in TS that sent configurations back and forth with me to get it working correctly.
Old February 12th, 2019, 05:16 AM   #10
sigmadelta
Canada

Digi One IAP - it can be used as a virtual COM port to the computer, or do serial protocol to Ethernet protocol conversion (Ex. DF1 to Ethernet/IP). It also has a passthrough feature, where, if you have a PLC and HMI connected via Serial Cable, you can attach both to the Digi One IAP, and have access to both over Ethernet, while maintaining the direct serial connection at the same time.

------------------------
Visit: contrologica.com
Email: info@contrologica.com
Old February 14th, 2019, 06:59 AM   #11
agent64usa
United States

RTA Automation makes the most user friendly serial-to-ethernet gateway I've used. We used it to collect data from serial barcode readers and rundown data from Atlas Copco Powerfocus controllers.
Old February 14th, 2019, 01:45 PM   #12
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

I have not used the EN2SE-R itself. My understanding is that it is a new generation of the HMS Communicator, equipped with a Rockwell DLR capable dual-port Ethernet interface, and with a configuration applet embedded into an Add-On Profile (AOP) so that it can be configured entirely within Studio 5000.

But I have used the original HMS Communicator, with the HMS Configurator utility.

For ordinary ASCII with terminating characters (like CR and LF), these are very easy to use. In the array of data that arrives as the I/O packet, there's an incrementing counter that increases by 1 to let you know that a new string is in the Input data array . Another element of the array is the Length of the string, and the rest of the array is the bytes in the string.

All you have to do is write code that essentially says "If InputCounter > InputCounterOld, copy Input data to String and set InputCounterOld := InputCounter"

The output is similarly straightforward; you copy the Length and Data bytes into the Output array, then increment the Output Data counter by 1, which causes the module to send that data out of its serial port.

In my opinion, the Communicator's ease-of-use is second only to that of the RTA Gateways; those send data directly to ControlLogix Tags that you configure by name in a web browser interface. The upcoming Spectrum Gateway works in a similar way.

I don't think it's speaking out of school too much here to say that HMS discovered a serious bug in the EN2SE and its related modules last year that led to a short stop-sales order and led me to use a competitive product. That actually makes me more confident in the current stability of the module and the competence of the HMS worldwide distribution and support network.
Old February 14th, 2019, 09:12 PM   #13
Christoo
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajmccormick View Post
has anyone used an anybus module or some sort of serial to ethernet converter with a control logix plc? If so how did you translate/parce specific serial data into the plc via ethernet.

thanks
It's more cost effective to make your own these days.
A Pi type board with Linux installed.
I just bought one with PCI-e and a 8 port serial card, can build an RS-232 to Modbus TCP network for around $300 with 8 serial ports.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum