You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 1st, 2019, 12:56 PM   #1
Gadelric
United States

Atlas Copco Run Down Tracking

Team,

I have the need to gather the run down info from the copco controller to my PLC.

I have an Allen Bradley PLC running v28.

Has anyone here tried to gather this data in the PLC?
I was told there are 3rd party programs that will do this for me, but I would rather do this in house via the PLC.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Gad
Old February 4th, 2019, 02:41 PM   #2
RoTaTech
Canada

Atlas Copco to Allen Bradley

You will have to supply more information - which model of A-C - PowerFocus or Power MACS? Which A-B controller? What communications options do you have: serial, EtherNet ...?
Old February 4th, 2019, 02:49 PM   #3
Sapper307
United States

Atlas Copco Elektronikon controllers are CAN protocol based. You'll need a CAN/Modbus converter. Atlas Copco has produced a number of these over the years (ComBox E, ComBox S, etc etc). They are a bear to setup, and usually you'll need to get Atlas Copco onsite as they hold the config software tight to their vest. Also they offer no support on how to digest the data, which isn't a big deal with most of the data until you get to date and time stamps. They don't tell you how to unpack the data.

Last edited by Sapper307; February 4th, 2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old February 4th, 2019, 02:54 PM   #4
James Mcquade
United States

there is an interface module that can be used to interface between the plc and the atlas copco unit.
we stored over 1500 data points per station, 5 stations per shift.
sorry, it's been to many years ago since I used the product.

james
Old February 12th, 2019, 12:37 PM   #5
Gadelric
United States

After quite a bit of searching, as well as the information provided here by you amazing users, I think the desire to have this information collected in the PLC is not quite as simple as using a GSV. We don't have enough torque guns on our production floor to justify spending more money for data collection. We have had our off shift tech pulling the cycle counts from the controllers and I think we will just keep doing this. Maybe at a future point I will be able to justify more software/hardware.

Thank you all again for your assistance.
Old February 14th, 2019, 06:47 AM   #6
agent64usa
United States

I did this with the Powerfocus controllers in a couple of ways:

1. The more difficult but also more fun method, using a serial-to-ethernet gateway from RTA Automation. Serial on the PF and ethernet to AB Compactlogix. You do have to obtain the open protocol document from Atlas Copco to figure out all the handshaking.

2. easier method, purchased and installed EIP fieldbus adapters in the powerfocus controller, then just add the adapter to your AB IO tree.

Hope this helps.
Old February 16th, 2019, 03:51 PM   #7
BachPhi
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadelric View Post
After quite a bit of searching, as well as the information provided here by you amazing users, I think the desire to have this information collected in the PLC is not quite as simple as using a GSV. We don't have enough torque guns on our production floor to justify spending more money for data collection. We have had our off shift tech pulling the cycle counts from the controllers and I think we will just keep doing this. Maybe at a future point I will be able to justify more software/hardware.

Thank you all again for your assistance.
If it's power focus using EIP, it's very easy to collect info to your PLC
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum