You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 9th, 2019, 10:42 PM   #1
kulmaint
Australia-Aboriginal

Schneider energy meter conserv em6436h

I have an energy meter schneider conserv em6436h
i want to read data from it through modbus.
Is it possible with the delta,siemens ,allen bradly plcs,
please suggest me the proper method to communicate & requirements regarding this. I have 50 meters in plant and i want to read all my reading form plc.(schneider conserv em6436h )
Old February 10th, 2019, 04:15 AM   #2
Wasan
Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulmaint View Post
I have an energy meter schneider conserv em6436h
i want to read data from it through modbus.
Is it possible with the delta,siemens ,allen bradly plcs,
please suggest me the proper method to communicate & requirements regarding this. I have 50 meters in plant and i want to read all my reading form plc.(schneider conserv em6436h )
For em6436h it has Modbus RTU then you can use Delta DVP RS-485 port for connect them by use WPLSoft in menu Wizard -> Program Example Generator -> Communication Program then follow with wizard for comptible with Modbus Register of em6436h.

My Blog: https://scadaskill.blogspot.com/

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/scadaskill

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/scadaskill
Old February 11th, 2019, 09:36 AM   #3
Frosty
Ireland

If you want them back to a Rockwell Controller, I would suggest using a ProSoft card to read in the Modbus data.
Old February 11th, 2019, 12:54 PM   #4
danw
United States

Modbus is never plug-n-play; Modbus is always a project.

There's no short cut to getting a Modbus network up and running, but getting the first meter to talk to the PLC can be a challenge.

If you have the option, Ethernet (Modbus/TCP) tends to be easier to deal with, and Ethernet meters might piggyback onto an existing plant Ethernet network, saving wiring and switches. An RS-485 network will be dedicated to the meters and you'll need at least two separate 485 networks because RS-485 can handle a maximum of 32 nodes. Will the PLC support two RS-485 ports?

Power meters are always a Modbus slave/server. The PLC needs to be a Modbus Master/client. Sometimes that's a licensed firmware and/or hardware option.

I suggest starting with a Windows Master program and a USB/485 converter (or Ethernet) to read some values from a spare meter. Then get the PLC to read those values from the meter. Then execute any writes to the meter.
Old February 12th, 2019, 10:20 AM   #5
JohnCalderwood
Scotland

Quote:
Modbus is never plug-n-play; Modbus is always a project.

There's no short cut to getting a Modbus network up and running, but getting the first meter to talk to the PLC can be a challenge.
aye, you are not kidding....!!

We wanted to get the Socomec Diris A40 reading data on Modbus to a ControlLogix PLC, and had to get quotes from System Integrators, ranging from 3k to 11k.....needless to say, the 11k bidder got dropped...

That was a few years back, and now I want to modify the code, so I will need to get my head round it again...........
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum