FactoryTalk Visibility Error

Ruskied

Hey guys,

Seems to be a simple fix I but can't get it for some reason.
So I have two digital modules, one input, one output. One button on FT with two tags connected to input module tag via "Connections" and output module tag via "Visibility". Visibility expression goes like this "If {PLC tagX} == 1 Then 1 Else 0"

If the module isn't there (using an emulator in this case) should the button go to Visibility State 0 (configured to be visible)? Instead it becomes invisible with a white border, I think it indicates Error since the module isn't there.

Is there a way to ignore the output tag and default to visible state if the tag isn't recognized??

I just need the visibility for the input tag since the input module is there.

Any help would be appreciated.
Best regards,
Edward

One button on FT with two tags connected to input module tag via "Connections" and output module tag via "Visibility". Visibility expression goes like this "If {PLC tagX} == 1 Then 1 Else 0"

Your expression should be {[PLC]TagX} You need the brackets around the shortcut. Also, there is no need for the if statement since a BOOL tag can only be a 1 or 0.

If the module isn't there (using an emulator in this case) should the button go to Visibility State 0 (configured to be visible)?

NO, The white box indicates an error as you thought. FT cannot solve your visibility expression / Tag. Check the FT Diagnostics Viewer to see errors. You will find it under Rockwell Software > Factory Talk Tools.

Is there a way to ignore the output tag and default to visible state if the tag isn't recognized??
Edward

Not that I know of. You could map your inputs to a coil and use that as your connection. That would allow you to test in your emulator. That way you could manipulate the bit to test visibility and your connections.

How about this...
Do Not Reference Physical Outputs / Inputs directly.
Use internal bools instead. They will always be present.
Then, use internal data from the PLC processor to determine if modules are present or not, and act accordingly.

Direct referencing physical I/O has always been an issue.

How about this...
Do Not Reference Physical Outputs / Inputs directly.
Use internal bools instead. They will always be present.
Then, use internal data from the PLC processor to determine if modules are present or not, and act accordingly.

Direct referencing physical I/O has always been an issue.

Do you mean creating tags in factorytalk and referencing them to the PLCs actual addresses? I've tried that, doesn't work.

It's odd because connections to non excising tags behave as expected on error but with visibility animation they don't.