Is Rockwell MSG function block implicit or explicit

I have always thought that Ethernet/IP Implicit messaging was the high speed data that is just "magically" there once you set it up, and if you use the MSG function block to get data, that is considered Explicit messaging. Someone has told me that the MSG function block can also be Implicit.

Although this forum is much better than Facebook groups, I am only asking for replies from people that really know. No guessing....

For Rockwell terminology MSG instructions are Explicit and Produce/Consume is Implicit. Explicit messaging is TCP based and requires a request for a connection, granting the connection, data exchange and then closing the connection. Implicit messaging uses UDP and opens a connection and leaves it open with data being exchanged at a rate set by the RPI (Request for Packet Interval). Explicit messaging is far more reliable but much slower while Implicit is far less reliable but much faster. Having said that, with how advanced Ethernet technology has become, even though Implicit messaging isn't as reliable as Explicit it can still be a very solid means of communications however you do have to be much more careful when setting it up and should really only use it when you truly need real time I/O (which is what it was intended to be used for).

For Rockwell terminology MSG instructions are Explicit and Produce/Consume is Implicit. Explicit messaging is TCP based and requires a request for a connection, granting the connection, data exchange and then closing the connection. Implicit messaging uses UDP and opens a connection and leaves it open with data being exchanged at a rate set by the RPI (Request for Packet Interval). Explicit messaging is far more reliable but much slower while Implicit is far less reliable but much faster. Having said that, with how advanced Ethernet technology has become, even though Implicit messaging isn't as reliable as Explicit it can still be a very solid means of communications however you do have to be much more careful when setting it up and should really only use it when you truly need real time I/O (which is what it was intended to be used for).

Thank you for that little bit of info. I was always under the assumption that Implicit was more reliable from what I have come across. I will keep this in mind for the future.

Thank you for that little bit of info. I was always under the assumption that Implicit was more reliable from what I have come across. I will keep this in mind for the future.

I think it depends on your definition of reliable.

Firejo said Explicit uses TCP, which contains things like acknowledges and retries to let you know if the message really truly got there or not. The downside is that there is A) more overhead and B) things can sometimes get a little weird (or stop altogether) along the way if the sender/reciever get out of sync.

UDP (for implicit) has way less overhead, so they can be sent much more frequently. There is no connection to try to handshake, there is no acknowledgements, there is only data being sent. If any one message doesn't arrive, that is usually OK, because the next one is coming a few milliseconds later. The PLC may have a watchdog timer built in, or you may need to program one to give you an alert if a device hasn't communicated recently enough.

I think it depends on your definition of reliable.

Firejo said Explicit uses TCP, which contains things like acknowledges and retries to let you know if the message really truly got there or not. The downside is that there is A) more overhead and B) things can sometimes get a little weird (or stop altogether) along the way if the sender/reciever get out of sync.

UDP (for implicit) has way less overhead, so they can be sent much more frequently. There is no connection to try to handshake, there is no acknowledgements, there is only data being sent. If any one message doesn't arrive, that is usually OK, because the next one is coming a few milliseconds later. The PLC may have a watchdog timer built in, or you may need to program one to give you an alert if a device hasn't communicated recently enough.

Kinda have to disagree, somewhat.
While what you are saying is true at the Ethernet protocol layer (although I've never experienced a TCP session getting "out of sync") explicit messaging is tied to a message instruction which has it's own level of dealing with failed messaging and worst case you can use the "error" bit to re-execute the message. However with UDP (again, looking at an application level) if four packets are missed within a certain period of time the connection resets which can take anywhere from four to eight seconds (which is a lifetime when talking about automation I/O connections). There are pluses and minuses to both protocols so it really comes down to the correct deployment for the application at hand and understanding the limitations so that expectations of what can and can't be done are correctly set.