Siemens 840D

Lost_Raiders

Good afternoon,

I've came into contact for the first time with a Siemens 840D, just curious what software I will need to interrogate it (and potentially modify).

I've got all versions of TIA, Simatic Manager and standard HMI software etc.

Any advice?

Cheers

C

The PLC half of those is more or less treated as an S7-300, but depending on the firmware of the drive side, they may have done the configuration in either Portal or Simatic Manager.

Either way, you'll need a Sinumerik addon for whichever version of Step 7 to include the extra HW. I'm not sure if that is a paid option or not.

Cheers fella, much appreciated

If the system is more than a couple years old, it is almost certainly Simatic Manager (plus addons).

The system gets a little complicated to understand the first time because there are a lot of things that are specificed as must be done exactly a certain way. Also, because the PLC and NC sides are semi-independent but both intelligent, it can get a little tricky as you get started trying to figure out what parts of the machine logic are in the PLC, and which parts are in the NC.

It ends up where you need to know you put a certain value in this certain spot in this DB, because a system call compares that specific value to this machine data from the NC side and then does something.

Very powerful cool system, but it is far from trivial to sit down at an existing machine and understand what is going on.

The last time I used one of these it had a portal on the HMI that allowed you to make edits . Not sure if that was added on by the machine maker or if it came standard. I haven't seen or touched this system in about 11 years so I couldn't tell you how to navigate to it.

The last time I used one of these it had a portal on the HMI that allowed you to make edits . Not sure if that was added on by the machine maker or if it came standard. I haven't seen or touched this system in about 11 years so I couldn't tell you how to navigate to it.

An HMI that allows you to make edits to part programs, machine data, etc, is pretty standard. For a long time this was typically a PC with an HMI runtime, but it is becoming more and more common for this to be just a thin client running the HMI.

Including the PLC programming software on the PC is optional, but In my limited experience, it is pretty common on more advanced machines, or machines being sold into facilities with people who would want to diagnose PLC things (profibus, profinet, etc).