Kinetix 350 Servo Drive - M1 Contactor?

recondaddy

Hello,

I'm using a Kinetix 350 Servo Drive, and the documentation is showing an M1 Contactor to switch incoming power to the drive. The problem is, none of the documentation tells us what is actually energizing the coil of this contactor.

In applications where I've used Kinetix 6000 drives, the coil of this contactor is wired to the Contactor Enable (CED), and as long as the drive, itself, has no fault conditions, the coil will be energized through the Contactor Enable relay.

The Kinetix 350 has no such Contactor Enable.

What is the purpose of this M1 Contactor, considering that there is already a Safe Torque Off (STO) on this drive? I see no need to kill incoming power to the drive in the case of an e-stop or door opening since there is an STO.

Should I energize this contactor through my safety system (e-stop monitoring, etc.) or should I simply monitor the drive status and energize this coil from an output from the PLC?

Thanks!

We only use the contactor to be controlled by the plc, so it delays the main bus voltage until the drive is awake on the 24v, it doesn't form part of the safety system, as you say, there's STO for that.

Relay for M1 Contactor

I'm pretty new to automation so please forgive the amateur questions. I have the same Kinetix drive, and planning to use the M1 contactor the same way that Janner_10 suggested. I'm supplying the drive with 120V and driving a small 240V TLY series AB motor using the drive's voltage doubling feature. So I understand the input current to the drive to be 9.7 amps.

I've been looking at relays with contacts rated to 10A, but many are only rated to 10A for a resistive load, and rated to only 5 or 6A with an inductive load. I know that motors are inductive loads, but how about servo drives? VFDs?

I don't want to purchase a large motor relay if I don't have to.