Webcam in FactoryTalk View SE

I've been looking all over for information and it's paltry at best. I'm looking for a setup that will allow me to have a webcam (either USB or IP) set up where I can embed the video feed in FactoryTalk View SE running on a PC, and will also allow me to take snapshots and save them. From what I have been able to find, FactoryTalk View ME has this capability. But the information regarding to the particulars of how to actually do it seem to be missing. I found a lab presentation that mentions a USB Camera ActiveX control, but when I start a project it's not in the list of ActiveX objects I can embed. I would think if ME can do it, SE should be able to.

So you can choose to embed your ActiveX object within your SE display or you can choose to have SE call the webcam application and have it open natively.

ActiveX controls are added to your Windows machine's list of available controls when you install that software on that machine. If the software isn't installed how would Windows know from the thousands of possibly ActiveX objects? Once Windows knows about the ActiveX object, then SE can use it.

So, install the webcam software and that will most likely add it to your list of ActiveX objects. I've done webcams several times and I have usually preferred to have SE call the webcam software. That allowed relatively easy use of all of the features of the webcam software. Getting ActiveX to do things like switch cameras or save a snapshot can be tricky.

Deploying ActiveX can be a headache as it can require that the same ActiveX objects also be registered on the client machines.

OG

Last edited:
So you can choose to embed your ActiveX object within your SE display or you can choose to have SE call the webcam application and have it open natively.

ActiveX controls are added to your Windows machine's list of available controls when you install that software on that machine. If the software isn't installed how would Windows know from the thousands of possibly ActiveX objects? Once Windows knows about the ActiveX object, then SE can use it.

So, install the webcam software and that will most likely add it to your list of ActiveX objects. I've done webcams several times and I have usually preferred to have SE call the webcam software. That allowed relatively easy use of all of the features of the webcam software. Getting ActiveX to do things like switch cameras or save a snapshot can be tricky.

Deploying ActiveX can be a headache as it can require that the same ActiveX objects also be registered on the client machines.

OG

Is there a particular webcam you like to use?

This is a single machine setup that won't be deployed elsewhere (I'm using FTView SE Station), so I'm not worried about having to register ActiveX controls on multiple machines. I'm just curious as to why Rockwell would advertise a webcam ActiveX with specific capabilities like they do here on page 19:

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...2012/labs/l11_increase-efficiency-w-pvp-6.pdf

They also have this in one of their ME sample applications, but don't give any information as to what specific camera they're using.

My use of a webcam was strictly in SE. I don't recall exactly which one I used. I think we used a Swan once and maybe a cheap DLink at one point. That document you referenced is for ME and the PVP6.

RA has a Tech note that states "Currently there is no USB camera support for the PanelView Plus 6"

Also, "We currently only support Ethernet Cameras from VisionView at this time. Refer to 119670 - Ethernet camera support on PanelView Plus 6."

Apparently the USB camera support in ME was shelved for other more critical needs. It is supposedly part of FTView 8.0 when it lands.

OG

My use of a webcam was strictly in SE. I don't recall exactly which one I used. I think we used a Swan once and maybe a cheap DLink at one point. That document you referenced is for ME and the PVP6.

RA has a Tech note that states "Currently there is no USB camera support for the PanelView Plus 6"

Also, "We currently only support Ethernet Cameras from VisionView at this time. Refer to 119670 - Ethernet camera support on PanelView Plus 6."

Apparently the USB camera support in ME was shelved for other more critical needs. It is supposedly part of FTView 8.0 when it lands.

OG

I see. Well I haven't spec'd a camera yet so I guess I'll look into VisionView.