Siemens S5 Block Transfer Problem

shaulapto

Hi,

I'm trying to transfer all the blocks from a Siemens S5-115U CPU943 using Step5 programming software.
The S5 is online and also it is possible to see the list of blocks in the PLC (Block Directory in the PLC).

But when I try to transfer blocks from the PLC to a File I receive the following message:

"AS function disabled : function active"

When I try to edit blocks in the PLC I receive the same message.
The CPU has two communication ports and the problem is the same using both of them.

I tried with Step5 V6.6 and also with Step V7.1 but the problem is the same.
It seems to me that the problem is in the PLC,some kind of locking bit/word that disables the transfer or edition of blocks.

Could anybody help me to solve the problem?

Thanks,

Shaul

Hi,

I'm not really that familiar with Siemens, but I can remember having a similar problem a few years ago. I got the advice to delete te whole PLC, thru soft- and hardware, then load the whole project again of course. It worked! I hope this can help.

Greetz,
Heino

Heino Geerdens said:
Hi,

I'm not really that familiar with Siemens, but I can remember having a similar problem a few years ago. I got the advice to delete te whole PLC, thru soft- and hardware, then load the whole project again of course. It worked! I hope this can help.

Greetz,
Heino
Heino,

Since I haven't any backup of the PLC program I cannot do what you suggest but anyway thanks for your reply.

Shaul

Since I haven't any backup of the PLC program I cannot do what you suggest
Are you trying to download or upload ?
You must be trying to upload (because you have no backup as you say). This should be possible at any time. Are you certain that you have selected the correct direction of the block transfer ? (STEP5 can be a bit tricky to figure out).

I'm trying to upload using Step5 V6.6 (Blocks >> Transfer >> PLC-File).
I receive the message : "AS function disabled".
When I try to edit a block in the PLC I receive the same message.
The only thing I can do is to display a list of blocks in the PLC(Dir).
I try with another S5 PLC and everything is ok.It seems to me that the PLC is locked in some way and doesn't allow to transfer or edit blocks.
Although an Operator Panel is working OK with the same port.

It has been so long time since I worked seriously with S5, that I cannot advice you further.

If noone else responds, then try to give Siemens support a call or email.

Shaulapto

This sounds like the PLC is write protected.

When you start the step5 software, select settings from the menu, then in the PLC tab, there is an option to select write protected
or write enabled 'cyclic' and 'stopped'. Select either of the write enabled options and you should not receive the message that you are getting. To ensure that this message doesn't appear again in the future save the new projects settings.

As I don't have Step5 on my home PC, I am working from memory, so my description of the menu might be slightly out. I can check it at work tommorow if needs be.

Paul

Pardon me for barging back in like this, but isnt the problem that shaulapto cannot upload (read) the program in the PLC ?
So that the PLC is write protected cannot be the explanation, or... ?

How if shaulapto tries to upload the blocks one by one, does that work ?
Just to try something.
I asume that shaulapto can view some blocks online, so he should also be able to save them to disk.

JesperMP said:
Pardon me for barging back in like this, but isnt the problem that shaulapto cannot upload (read) the program in the PLC ?

Ahh, Jesper, I just re-read the first post,

shaulapto said:
But when I try to transfer blocks from the PLC to a File I receive the following message

Which is what you have just wrote, but then he also wrote

shaulapto said:
When I try to edit blocks in the PLC I receive the same message.

Which is what I based my answer on.

Perhaps I should read posts properly from now on!

There must be something not quite right in the project settings because....

shaulapto said:
The S5 is online and also it is possible to see the list of blocks in the PLC (Block Directory in the PLC)

Paul

I have just looked through the project setting menu in step5 and noticed that in the options tab (Project -> Set -> Options) that there is an option to 'Prevent changes in files in project', maybe this option has been checked (X in the box).

Might be the cause? :confused:

Paul