Firmware Kinetix 6000

nightline

Gents,

I had to update the 1756-M08SE because of a CPU update to V19.
Since than my servo-motors of the Kinetix 6000 system make a lot of noise at the hookup test, tuning and when the axis is on by a Motion Direct Command.
The motor has a very weak power.

I think the firmware of the drives need to be updated also.
If I go to the firmware page on the AB web site and download the latest firmware for an A series Kinetix 6000 which is 1.134, I got a complete Control Flash installation which seems to install all the right firmware.

When I launch Control Flash I can find the catalog number of the drive ( 2094-BC02M02 for example ). I can point Control Flash in RSLinx to the drive, but Control Flash doesn't show any firmware for this drive.
I even can.t find it in the Control Flash folder.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance!!!

Jack

Hi
When the firmware selection screen comes up have you selected to show all firmware versions

Donnchadh

Hi
When the firmware selection screen comes up have you selected to show all firmware versions

Donnchadh

Yes, I've also marked the checkbox.

what versions are you starting from?
RSlogix and kinetics

RSLogix version V16, Kinetix drives V1.06 and V1.07 and 1756-M08SE is coming from V16.
Your questions indicates that this is critical....:(

Jack

Because of the message of MichealG, I done a search on the knowledge Base of Rockwell.
I found technote 39558 which describes the pad to find the Firmware in the ControlFlash upgrade kit.
Tonight I'm able to find out if this works.

Jack

Unfortunately... it didn't work as I hoped.
I've tried several versions of Control Flash and Firmware versions.
I had contact with Tech Support which give some manuals, but nothing works.

If I click "View Inventory" in Control Flash I can see al my drive catalog numbers and the Firmware Versions which I like to install. But when I click on the drive in RSLinx, I got no firmware to see.

I've put my CPU in Program Mode, al my drives show a steady 2, which is all needed according a manual of Tech Support.

I've tried it in RSLogix 5000... nothing...

Nothing helps...
Anyone different ideas which maybe will work?

Jack

Yes, I've also marked the checkbox.

RSLogix version V16, Kinetix drives V1.06 and V1.07 and 1756-M08SE is coming from V16.
Your questions indicates that this is critical....:(

Jack

Yep I seem to remember that you need a minimum firmware version in the Kinetix to be able to update firmware over SERCOS
I think that it is somewhere around 1.091
you will need a serial cable and go directly onto the BM02 bypassing the SECROS
Sorry I cannot remember the details

MichealG,

You're right, I need to update the drives with a serial converter called 1203-USB or a 1203-SSS.
Has anyone an idea or I can use a different converter, or a normal USB-serial converter?
The converter from Rockwell cost about $250,- and I only need it once for 6 drives....

The 1203-xxx is protocol converter not just a serial converter so you will need to get one to do the firmware upgrade.

The 1203-USB uses a USB port ( this also comes with the lead to talk to the 4(4,40,400) series of Powerflex drives, the lead you need will also talk to any of the 7 series Powerflex(70,700,753,755) drives and the 1336 drives, and the K6000).

The 1203-SSS uses the 9 pin serial port (this will only talk to the 7 series Powerflex(70,700,753,755) drives and the 1336 drives, and the K6000).

Alan

Last edited:
MichealG,

You're right, I need to update the drives with a serial converter called 1203-USB or a 1203-SSS.
Has anyone an idea or I can use a different converter, or a normal USB-serial converter?
The converter from Rockwell cost about $250,- and I only need it once for 6 drives....

got any tech notes for firmware revisions for future reference?

Well gents,

I finally finished the firmware update.
Tech Support mailed me some instructions to update the Kinetix 6000 using a 1203-USB, Drive Executive and HyperTerminal.

The nice guys from our A-B supplier Hescon where so kind to send me there 1203-USB converter to use it for free! (y)

After connecting the 1203-USB the drivers where installed but not recognized by RSLinx. A reboot of the laptop solved this issue.
RSLinx has to be in "application mode" so, in RSLinx Launch Control, run as a service should be unmarked.

Then follow the instructions of the attachment from page 224.
After the data read by Drive Executive it showed an error message.
But when I press connect again, it shows all 5999 parameters.
For the baudrate setting ( bits per second ) in the HyperTerminal connection, I had to set the slowest possible speed setting i.e. 110 bits per second. All other possibilities doesn't work, and give strange characters when enter.
I upgraded to version 1.118, which is the lowest possible version which allows me to update the drives using Control Flash over the Sercos ring.
Higher Firmware versions didn't seems to be accepted for update by HyperTerminal.

This process took about 2 hours to complete the Firmware update of the 6 drives.

When finished, I rebooted the drives and used Control Flash to update the drive to the latest version i.e. 1.134.

Thanks guys for your support!

Jack

I did some tests last night, with a not expected result.
After powering up the drive connected to a motor shows a steady 4 in the display.
At the hookup test, it shows an OK at both feedback tests.
At the Test Command and Feedback, there was no action at all, and a timeout.

When I try to execute a MSO followed by a MAJ or MAM it gives a message about a not closed servo loop.
The hardware enable is closed, and I've also tried these commands with the hardware enable marked and unmarked. No difference in result....

Tried also with the Controller in Run, Program and Test Mode. Disabled the piece of program for this axle... Tried to run the axle by the piece of program...
Checked for any fault message on the Controller, the Sercos Card and the Drive..

Anyone ideas regarding this?

Controller has Firmware V19.11
SercosCard has Firmware V9.6
Drives have all Frimware V1.134

Jack