Siemens IM151-3 PN HF (no Link LED)

y2kmfic

Lifetime Supporting Member
Happy Saturday!

I've never used the HF module before and am attempting to do some PROFIsafe testing, and the Link LEDs don't light up on either port, nor does the Link LED on the other end (switch, controller, etc.) light up. The module appears to boot fine, as the other LEDs are on/flashing. I've tried multiple working cables, unplugged from a working device and plug in to the HF, and still nothing.

I read as much documentation as I can find, and nothing points to this issue. Am I missing something, or do I have a dead unit? I don't have a SD card in the unit, but my non HF units don't need the SD card.

TIA.
CH

You shouldn't need the SD card.

Do you have the last module in place, to cap the bus?

Regardless, though, my guess is if you have no link lights, and have tested with multiple known good cables connected to multiple known good devices, odds are its a bad unit.

One final note: link lights might take a second or so to come on, so don't rush it.

Yes , what Sigmadelta have said is correct, also you have to make sure that the bus end piece is in place.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I do have a power module, F I/O module, and end module. I didn't wire the power module, but I don't think that should effect the Link LED, but I'll wire it on Monday at report back.

Thanks again.
CH

Here are my modules in this order..
6ES7-151-3BA22-0AB0 INTERFACE MODULE IM151-3 PN HF
6ES7 138-4CA01-0AA0 24v Power Module
6ES7 138-4FA04-0AB0 4/8 F-DI
Terminating module

Again, the power module isn't wired, but I don't think that should effect the Link LED, should it?

TIA
CH

I don't think you understand.. the Link LED for the Ethernet port doesn't come on on the unit, or the other end of the cat5 cable (switch, controller, etc.). How am I supposed to assign an IP, if I can't connect to it. MMC maybe, but not sure.

CH

The Link LED not on is described like this:

No connection to switch/IO controller.

I'm trying to remember if that meant that if there is no connection to a switch OR no connection to IO controller prevents the LINK from lighting up.

HAH! Turns out the 6ES7-151-3BA22-0AB0 IM151-3 PN HF requires the MMC. If the MMC isn't in, then the ETH ports don't work at all.

The newer 6ES7-151-3BA23-0AB0 doesn't require the MMC. I would have tested with an MMC sooner but didn't know I had one (I actually "borrowed" it from Engineering :whistle:).

https://support.industry.siemens.co...nterface-released-for-delivery?dti=0&lc=en-WW

Thanks for the replies.
CH

Huh, learn something every day. Looks like that changeover happened in 2008. I'm not sure if I used any of those, or if we just always had the MMC and I never knew why.