Analog scaling from 0-5v to 0-5,000litres?

0-5V = 0-2m distance (from sensor) gives you a level of -0,5-1,5m (tank level, if diameter is 1,5 and full tank will give a reading of 0m from sensor).
Then if you want to have volume, you need to calculate that with given formulas.

2. Depends what accuracy you need? There will always be inaccuracies, you have to decide what you can live with.
Thanks alot

Adding formula 1 (eliptical part) to formula 2 (cylindrical part) will give you the volume you require.
https://arachnoid.com/TankCalc/
Please I just want to confirm:

For the two formulas below,
in my PLC Logic, should I use CPT Instruction(for example) to compute formula 1, use another CPT for formular 2 THEN, use an ADD Instruction to add the two Volume and then store in a register?

2. What about the r=0 for cylinder (stated on that website), is it also applicable for a Tank with elipse caps?

Thanks in advance.

HORIZONTAL TANK FORMULAR.PNG

Thanks for your help.

The sensor's range is 0-5v for 0-2m maximum level, Diameter as 1.5m
Please what will be my SCALED MIN and SCALED MAX?

2. If the formular does not consider the elipse side, will the volume still be acurate?
Please, could you tell me how -0.5v came about?

Thanks in advance

Please, could you tell me how -0.5v came about?

Thanks in advance

-0,5m not v.

When you measure 2m distance from sensor (5v), you measure 0,5m beyond tank bottom because you said the tank's only 1.5 m diameter. Did I misunderstand that it's 1.5m diameter?

Draw a picture of your tank, sensor and measurements and it might clear up.

Last edited:
-0,5m not v.

When you measure 2m distance from sensor (5v), you measure 0,5m beyond tank bottom because you said the tank's only 1.5 m diameter. Did I misunderstand that it's 1.5m diameter?

Draw a picture of your tank, sensor and measurements and it might clear up.
Sorry for late response please.
Below is a rough drawing of the Tank's shape. r is not known.
Yes, Diameter is 1.5m

All the formulae in the world are not going to give the most accurate results.

I don't believe there is a single tank in the world that conforms exactly to the "design specifications", both in dimensions, and shape conformity along length or height.

Add to that, dished ends on horizontal tanks are often at least 2 different radii, and you have an extremely complex bit of maths to do, and likely not yielding a good result because of the above.

Another factor to take into consideration is a tank's dimensions will change with temperature.

One way of determining the contents of a tank is to put the tank on load cells, and measure the tared weight. However, that can only be done for contents that have a known and consistent density.

For those, and other, reasons, accurate volume measurement in tanks is most often done by having the tank "dipped", "strapped", or other names, where the tank is pre-calibrated by filling and recording the height at intervals. The more measurements that are taken, the greater the accuracy between the points (interpolation).

There are several ways of measuring the height of the contents, a float on a wire, capacitive probes, ultrasonics, laser, even radar, failing that, a long wooden stick with a scale on it (UK brewing used to use this method, done by the then "Weights & Measures" government department).

All the formulae in the world are not going to give the most accurate results.

I don't believe there is a single tank in the world that conforms exactly to the "design specifications", both in dimensions, and shape conformity along length or height.

Add to that, dished ends on horizontal tanks are often at least 2 different radii, and you have an extremely complex bit of maths to do, and likely not yielding a good result because of the above.

Another factor to take into consideration is a tank's dimensions will change with temperature.

One way of determining the contents of a tank is to put the tank on load cells, and measure the tared weight. However, that can only be done for contents that have a known and consistent density.

For those, and other, reasons, accurate volume measurement in tanks is most often done by having the tank "dipped", "strapped", or other names, where the tank is pre-calibrated by filling and recording the height at intervals. The more measurements that are taken, the greater the accuracy between the points (interpolation).

There are several ways of measuring the height of the contents, a float on a wire, capacitive probes, ultrasonics, laser, even radar, failing that, a long wooden stick with a scale on it (UK brewing used to use this method, done by the then "Weights & Measures" government department).
You are very correct going by your statement below:

"For those, and other, reasons, accurate volume measurement in tanks is most often done by having the tank "dipped", "strapped", or other names, where the tank is pre-calibrated by filling and recording the height at intervals. The more measurements that are taken, the greater the accuracy between the points (interpolation)."

But for the purpose of PLC data collection, how can I then relate the calibration result to my scaling in my logic?