Replacing Ignition with Wonderware

rejones

Our company has decided to replace Ignition with Wonderware and engineering is in an uproar. We've been using Ignition with great success for several years. Has anyone here ever made such a switch or maybe explain the logic of such a decision.

I'd be curious to hear the reasoning your company has to switch from Ignition?

I've seen nothing but positive comments towards Ignition on here, I can't say I've seen the same for Wonderware.

There is no logical explanation here, it's ignorance of management if engineering is an uproar and Ignition has had success. Or a hell-of-a-salesman.

Or a hell-of-a-salesman.

Bingo! Someone in a decision making capacity has been taken out golfing a whole lot lately by the local WW distributor.

ETA: It's sad if this was truly a unilateral decision by management without engineering's input (or if engineering's input just wasn't taken to heart). I'd consider moving on from a company that did something like this.

Last edited:
Maybe you are a small site of a multi-site company and everyone else is already using Wonderwhy?

Switching is no different to any SCADA switching project.
1. Identify everything the SCADA currently does (optional, you can just wing it)
2. Consult stakeholders on what bugbears with the current system identified in step 1 can be fixed/modified as part of the change. (optional, they can just get what they're given)
3. Estimate time/cost needed to do the conversion + cost of hardware/software. (optional, you can just have an open checkbook)
4. Present a business case for the expenditure. (optional, you can just use your business intuition)
5. Get funding for the software (required)
6. Get funding for the hardware (optional, you can just run it on the servers / desktops you were using before to run a less resource hungry application)
7. Get funding for the time to do the conversion (optional, you can just do it in your free time).
8. Do the conversion.
9. Retrain the operators. (optional, they can just learn by pressing buttons and seeing what it does)

Our company has decided to replace Ignition with Wonderware and engineering is in an uproar. We've been using Ignition with great success for several years. Has anyone here ever made such a switch or maybe explain the logic of such a decision.

Just curious, what industry do you work in?

Do you build systems for other customers? or, are you in-house engineering for your own company?

Any Schneider PLCs?

Wait, your engineering department doesn't make engineering decisions?

And why are you asking the us about the reason behind your company's decision?

I mean, there are so much "what the ???"

I mean, there could be absolutely legit reasons but my magic 8-ball aren't THAT good.

Ignition offers an HMI.

Sounds like someone bought into the idea of big data and cloud services.

Inductive Automation's Ignition is a complete SCADA package; it includes, among others, Visualization (HMI), Relational Database (SQL) Historian connectivity , MES (Manufacturing Enterprise Services) integration and Enterprise level deployment capabilities.

It provides connectivity drivers to most of the major automation hardware platforms and web or mobile access are pretty much built in since the entire platform is based on Java.

https://inductiveautomation.com/scada-software/

Pricing is also significantly more 'user friendly' than Schneider's Wonderware
https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.indu...ignition_78/Ignition-HMI-SCADA-Pricing_en.pdf

Definitely a good sales job by local WW distributor. If Inductive Automation has one marketing weakness, it is a well trained network of distributors. They rely on Integrators as the sales force.