FUC%$* Factory Talk View ME

PLC Pie Guy

Just a frustration vent before I throw the computer, in the middle of a bunch of edits with visibility in a 3 layer global object and guess what, my very expensive FTV.ME software package crashed, leaving me wondering what saved, what didn't and wondering If I can mentally even handle doing it all again today!
One would think that after many thousands of dollars for a software package that it would be able get through a few edits without crashing!

Yep. ME is garbage. When I was at teched they mentioned some of the things coming in v10, the only feature that was somewhat cool was that they "figured out" how to fix the 32bit to 64bit migration for the DB stuff. Other than that, any issues you see today, you will continue to see for a while.

My "favorite" issue with ME is when compiling I will sometimes get an unable to save tag database error. After this error, you may as well reboot because it will not work correctly after that. Rockwell apparently has no plans to fix that bug. I showed them at teched the issue with the alarm embedded server getting question marks on boot, they seemed to not care. It's sad really.

That blows hard I have had that happen a few times then I am always save every minute and get complacent and bam!!

I try to refrain from smashing stuff still remember a long time ago, I was using a ball mouse so that should date it, I lost a bunch of edits and whipped my mouse on the floor, needless to say the ****ing ball bounced and hit me right in the eye, try explaining that black eye to co-workers.

That blows hard I have had that happen a few times then I am always save every minute and get complacent and bam!!

I try to refrain from smashing stuff still remember a long time ago, I was using a ball mouse so that should date it, I lost a bunch of edits and whipped my mouse on the floor, needless to say the ****ing ball bounced and hit me right in the eye, try explaining that black eye to co-workers.

I personally prefer a tirade of swearwords that brings the newer office lady running to see who's getting murdered. It's less expensive than breaking stuff.

I once said that they should ship that software with a 40oz speaker magnet and a coupon for a 5th of Jack Daniels.

The magnet is to strap on your hard drive before you toss your computer down the stairs.

I had to work with Factory Balk a few days ago...had forgotten how horrible the stuff is...

When I get my choice, its Ignition and Crimson. When the customer wants FCTME View, I just add 40 hours labor to the price.

When I get my choice, its Ignition and Crimson. When the customer wants FCTME View, I just add 40 hours labor to the price.

If you were doing just one on machine terminal wouldn't Ignition be expensive compared to ME and Redlion? I would love to use Ignition. I can't persuade the owners, they think RA is the way to go. I also like Redlion software, but their hardware is ugly.

I just got a quote for a Limited Edition with historian, alarm notification and A/B drivers right at $4500. That license has no tag limit, but if you can keep under 500 tags you can get close to that $1500 mark. The development time savings will make for at least $2000 in saved labor cost compared to FCTME View Stupido.

One would think that after many thousands of dollars for a software package that it would be able get through a few edits without crashing!

Also that they use this "new" invention called mouse scroll. How can an UI-Development Software have no mouse scrolling (vertical and horizontal with shift) or zoom in/out with ctrl. Sometimes i thing not even Rockwell is working with Factory Talk View Studio, they just sell it.

Of course you can get all and any software for free with 1 goggle search, but of course no one would do that and use it for free, would anyone????? ha ha.
With all the bugs AB has/have had and all the frustration like now, for free its alright, for $1500 let alone $15000 for a bundle its a rip off

Last edited:

HAHA, No smashing stuff. Its funny though, in a normally quiet office setting you can always tell who is having computer troubles. Faint mumblings of one thousand curses on the IT people, or Microsoft or whoever may be whizzing in the corn flakes at the moment. In my case, it was Rockwell.

I do like the software. Its all I really know well. I did finish up the work yesterday, but jeeeezzz man! I also keep getting the unable to save tag database error on a regular basis. That is only since going to version 9 though. Also since I went to V9, Viewpoint won't let me publish displays. No real loss there though, except the man that paid for the software likes to look at it.

Fun Times!