ControlNet to Ethernet.

HoldenC

We recently had our local AB rep tour our facility, in hopes of being able to recover our RSLoix5000 license. During the walk-through, they saw we had a ControlNet set up (We have 2 remote racks that use this. Each rack is about 200ft away.), I was advised to remove the controlnet, and switch to a Ethernet set up. I was told that ControlNet was too complicated for this setup.

So, can anyone give me any advice. I told my boss about it, and I was told I could switch to Ethernet if we needed to. The Local rack already has a Ethernet card, which then attaches to a switch, that connects to our 3 PCs running Factory Talk View in our control room.

Would it be wise to make the switch ? I know we will have to figure out the license before anything can be done however.

That was kind of how I felt, but Im a little new to this, and I was going off what they told me.

No deterministic communications needed here.

Ill check out that link right now.

If you were planning an upgrade or an expansion then converting would be a wise move. If not, I'm with Shawn, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

ControlNet does add more (licensed) software, and it does add extra steps sometimes. But changing just for the sake of changing probably isn't wise.

OG

Can anyone recommend some good reading on programming a ControlNet module in case one goes down ? I dont have a backup xc file, and Im a little unsure on how to create one using RsNetworx.

HoldenC, generally with ControlNet - when it works, it stays working...

But of course, you need the backup xc file.

Have you got RSNetworx for ControlNet?

Using RSLogix5000, in the PLC program, use the Controller Organizer, go down to the ControlNet adapter and double-click, then go over to the RSNetworx tab. That should make reference to the ControlNet File that was loaded with the project. May give you some clues as to where it is located...

Failing that, it will be using RSNetworx/RSLinx to browse the network, upload and save the configuration - all can be done on the run...

I was advised to remove the controlnet, and switch to a Ethernet set up. I was told that ControlNet was too complicated for this setup.
Occasionally I meet people like that. They know nothing about ControlNet but are eager to sell something new.

As pointed before, if it's working and there's no plan for adding new components, there's no reason to make any change.

There's some information about ControlNet here:

TN56591 ControlNet Book of Knowledge (Feb 2011) (Access Level Everyone)

There was a very good manual about ControlNet (9220-um051_-en-p.pdf). It's was available on RA Literature section some years ago.

As long as proper crimping tool and cable are used for ControlNet, it is bullet proof. Once set up it will work forever. No issues of IP conflicts, someone plugging in an RJ45 connector into a switch that swamps the ethernet with useless chatter.
No issues with plastic RJ45 connector clip.

As long as proper crimping tool and cable are used for ControlNet, it is bullet proof. Once set up it will work forever. No issues of IP conflicts, someone plugging in an RJ45 connector into a switch that swamps the ethernet with useless chatter.
No issues with plastic RJ45 connector clip.

DO NOT ASSUME the RJ45 sockets on ControlNet modules are ethernet ports - THEY ARE NOT !!!

Connecting your laptop, or an ethernet switch, to (for example) a 1756-CNB module with a standard CAT5 cable, will likely fry the laptop or switch's ethernet port because the CNB connection contains power sources.

IMHO it was madness for RA to use RJ45 sockets for ControlNet connectivity.....

DO NOT ASSUME the RJ45 sockets on ControlNet modules are ethernet ports - THEY ARE NOT !!!

Connecting your laptop, or an ethernet switch, to (for example) a 1756-CNB module with a standard CAT5 cable, will likely fry the laptop or switch's ethernet port because the CNB connection contains power sources.

IMHO it was madness for RA to use RJ45 sockets for ControlNet connectivity.....

He was comparing CNet to EthernetIP. With CNet you don't have to worry about the average joe causing an IP conflict or network storm, he wasn't saying anything about plugging into the NAP port.

Thanks for everyone's input. I agree with everyone's attitude on the "if it's not broke, dont fix it". We still have have 14 racks of PLC5 system that connects to the ControlLogix and it does just fine.

What also made me ask these questions about switch was that the AB rep told me that in order to program a ControlNet setup, I would need to go to school for it. He said it wasnt just something that I could read and figure out. HE said it required specialized training.

We still have have 14 racks of PLC5 system that connects to the ControlLogix and it does just fine.
Seems like we work in the same place... Just had a PLC5/12 die on us recently and managed to scramble a 5/15 to replace it. No more in stock though...

What also made me ask these questions about switch was that the AB rep told me that in order to program a ControlNet setup, I would need to go to school for it. He said it wasnt just something that I could read and figure out. HE said it required specialized training.
Sorry to be blunt, but unless this guy worked alongside me for a while as well as he did with the software in question, I would take offence to that and call him out on it. Does he know your full set of qualifications and experience? What is his experience in field networks when he tried doing that with this new software?
Did you ask if he's throwing in the said training for free with whatever you are buying? ;)

ControlNet, particularly with a PLC-5 is pretty complicated. I probably would have said it a little more tactfully, but some sort of training probably would be wise.

However, if you already have ControlNet, perhaps you have someone that is already capable of training others. You aren't switching to ControlNet. It seems odd to suggest training on something you already have.

OG

Actually the ControlNet is hooked up to our ControlLogix system. It connects out 3 Nodes together. We have 14 other remote racks of PLC5 that connect via Remote IO.