TIA v14 to v15, project upgrade... but not the panel

userxyz

Hi,

Just wondering,
We builded a peace of ERP/Database code in v15 and tested it in simulation and so on.

The machine is reachable via VPN.

On the machine there is a TP900 installed.

To make things better, we have a TP1500 that we will use to replace the TP900.

But...
We want to test things via VPN allready (Handshaking ERP with our PLC Database).

The question marks:

1. Can we upgrade remotely without losing DB actual data ? (production must continu after the v15 upgrade). Can we take snapshots in v14... Then upgrade to v15... Will the snapshots actual data still be there in the DBs?

2. When we upgrade, can we download the panel... Will the recipes be lost or not ?

3. Or should we export to source files and import them in a V14 to avoid all these troubles ?

What would be best ?

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,
Combo

Last edited:
Small test

Hi,

Just did a small test...
I made a snapshot of DB's online in TIA 14.
Then opened in TIA 15 and copied snapshots to Start values.
And all data was there...

So basically an upgrade to v15 via VPN shouldn.t be a problem...

Still one thing bothers me. I will have to upgrade the TP900 also after conversion to TIA v15... or shouldn't I ? If I do... the recipes are stored on location Flash... will they be deleted when I download the upgrade ?
Or an other question, the TP900 only has to be used for one week and will then be replaced... would de TP900 still communicate if we don't download from v15 and leave it with a v14 in there while the PLC has v15 ?

Kind regards,
Combo

Last edited:
Hi,

Just did a small test...
I made a snapshot of DB's online in TIA 14.
Then opened in TIA 15 and copied snapshots to Start values.
And all data was there...

So basically an upgrade to v15 via VPN shouldn.t be a problem...

Still one thing bothers me. I will have to upgrade the TP900 also after conversion to TIA v15... or shouldn't I ? If I do... the recipes are stored on location Flash... will they be deleted when I download the upgrade ?
Or an other question, the TP900 only has to be used for one week and will then be replaced... would de TP900 still communicate if we don't download from v15 and leave it with a v14 in there while the PLC has v15 ?

Kind regards,
Combo

As far as I know, you can continue to have v14 runtime version HMIs in a v15 project. You should be able to leave the HMI alone if you want to. Heck, I think you could still use something old like a v12 runtime. I assume the local flash would get wiped in an OS update, so be careful.

Things are getting really confusing on the PLC end with having to keep track of both FW version and portal project rev level. Glad it was low impact for you though.

Hi

Hi,

Thanks for your reply...

I think I will send a v15 download to teh PLC but not yet to the HMI TP900. I think I will leave this one as it is because one week later it will be replaced by the TP1500.

Thanks,

Kind Regards,
Combo

As far as I know, you can continue to have v14 runtime version HMIs in a v15 project. You should be able to leave the HMI alone if you want to. Heck, I think you could still use something old like a v12 runtime. I assume the local flash would get wiped in an OS update, so be careful.

Things are getting really confusing on the PLC end with having to keep track of both FW version and portal project rev level. Glad it was low impact for you though.