Redlions G306 HMI w/ Micrologix 1100

Brij

Hi everybody,
I am working on a project where the G306 HMI is set-up as a Modbus Master where it is collecting data from 7 analog panel meters via RS485 network. I would like to get this data into a Micrologix 1100.

I am using the ethernet port on the Micrologix to communicate with other remote devices and collect data from other meters. Will I be able to setup the ethernet protocol on the redlions panel to send the data to micrologix via ethernet even though I have it communicating with other remote meters.

Any suggestions on what would be the best way to get this data from redlions G306 into the Micrologix?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brij

Last edited:
You shouldn't have any trouble with this, just get an Ethernet switch to connect all the devices if you don't have one already.

Use the Allen-Bradley EIP driver in Crimson and your G3-ML1100 communications should work without a hitch.

-John

Dave's example is basically the same as the example I mentioned in my PM. The only difference is his example pulls data from the ML and writes it to the MOdbus device. To send data the other way you wouls place the block under the ML. You can do it with a block under the Modbus device, but with a change in direction, however I think it is easier to place the block under the device that the data is going TO. (I find this a bit easier to visualize)

Regards,

This is great stuff guys. I really appreciate all the answers. I should be trying it very soon. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks for your time, this has been really helpful!

Brij

Alright, I setup the block under the Micrologix and I am able to move the data from the analog meters to micrologix. It works like a charm. Thank you so much guys.

However, I have some Allen Bradley Energy meters that are connected on the same ethernet network as the Redlions. The Energy meters accept modbus RTU addressing. I am wondering if you can read data from these meters via Modbus TCP/IP protocol via Ethernet?

I tried doing this by selecting Modbus TC/IP Master as one the ethernet protocols and I set the IP address of the device in the target device. I am not sure about the TCP port and unit number, so I left it as default. I left all the protocol options at default like the Ping holding register, ICMP ping, etc.

I am trying to read from the Analog Input Registers of the meters. The data in the meter is a 2 word array (30419-20), how do I handle this or setup to read both words and reassemble into valid a floating point value.

Can you do this with the Redlions G306 and If so can you please tell me if I am doing anything wrong or how I should be setting this protocol and how do i setup the data tag to read the data.

Thanks again for all your help.

Brij

Brij,

FYI, this is the same text from the PM I just sent.

I do not see why you would not be able to do this.

I would suspect that your AB unit would use TCP Port 502 (this is the 'standard' Modbus TCP port), and I would also suspect that the unit number would be 1.

I have a feeling that your problem is related to the 'Ping Holding Register'. Does 400001 exist in the device, IE will it repsond to a read? You can set this to zero and it will disable the ping.

As far as reading 2 contiguous registers as a floating point number, you will want to create a Real tag. Then map it to 300419 and choose Word as Real for the Data Type. Depending on the format of the number in the AB, you may need to use the Swap Words Transform of the tag to get it to read correctly.

Regards,