HMI software

burnerman

I'm looking to develop a low cost control system to replace outdated/obsolete control equipment for a certain type of machine that I deal with a lot.

I've selected the plc I want to use - Mitsubishi FX3 - based on cost, size and familiarity.

I've been trawling the internet for a low cost pc based HMI and stumbled accross a package called Profilab Expert 4.0, available here. I was amazed at the low cost - a one off payment of 99.90 euros (where is the euro symbol on my keyboard?!) for the development software from which any number of compiled executable applications can be produced.

I was impressed with the configuration software - very simple to use and understand - pictures are so much better than words don't you think? (no hijack replies re. ladder vs STL argument thank you!)

I know that this package has limitations but it should be more than adequate for my application.

The only thing I haven't quite bottomed is the plc to pc comms. I think that this can be done via Modbus RTU over a rs485 link; I need to check all this out with Mitsubishi and the Profilab people.

Before I start checking this out I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience with Profilab and would be interested in any comments, good or bad.

Profilab-Expert is not specifically a HMI s/w package so its communication options will probably be weak for PLC interfacing. It appears to be a equivalent or knock-off of National Instrument's Lab-View (good thing to know about).

The process is relatively simple and slow moving.

We need to display about eight or ten analogue variables (bargraph or meter with numeric value) and about half a dozen status indicators, speed is not an issue - a screen update time as slow as 1 or 2 seconds is fast enough .

The operator controls will be about half a dozen pushbuttons and 4 or 5 sliders for manual control of analogues: again, response speed not crucial.

I know Mitsi aren't specifically mentioned in the supported hardware list but I assume that in the list, the manufacturer heading "diverse" refers to generic products and Modbus/RTU is included. I'm almost certain that Mitsi do a ModbusRTU/RS485 card for the FX3. Like I said, I need to confirm these things.

Whatever cheap or free HMI software you are goin to use you still have to buy a PC and an O\S and deal with the usual PC problems that go with it !!

What about one of the Mitsubishi GOT 1000 Series ?

3.7" Touch Screen - £185
5.7" Touch Screen - £499

(where is the euro symbol on my keyboard?!)

Usually the [ALT GR] + '4' does it for me... €€ $$ ££

Slightly off (this) topic - anyone had any success trying to source Delta PLC/HMI's. We've emailed the european distributor several times (in the Netherlands) - but no response. They're a Taiwan based company, and i'm told their gear is considerably cheap (software is free and downloadable too)...

http://www.delta.com.tw/product/em/control/plc/control_plc_main.asp

Rob

Kidblue said:
Usually the [ALT GR] + '4' does it for me... €€ $$ ££

Slightly off (this) topic - anyone had any success trying to source Delta PLC/HMI's. We've emailed the european distributor several times (in the Netherlands) - but no response. They're a Taiwan based company, and i'm told their gear is considerably cheap (software is free and downloadable too)...

http://www.delta.com.tw/product/em/control/plc/control_plc_main.asp

Rob
Delta have a UK office:
Glasgow Office
1 Redwood Court, Peel Park, East Kilbride, G74 5PF, Scotland,
United Kingdom
TEL : 44-1355-588-888
FAX: 44-1355-588-889

http://www.delta-europe.com/company/about_operations_europe.asp?aid=1&sid=5

We had already contacted them, and was told they were just distribution - and that we had to order via the Netherlands...???

Thanks anyway!

tragically1969 said:
Whatever cheap or free HMI software you are goin to use you still have to buy a PC and an O\S and deal with the usual PC problems that go with it !!

What about one of the Mitsubishi GOT 1000 Series ?

3.7" Touch Screen - £185
5.7" Touch Screen - £499

Yes, I agree that a pc/windoze is not the most reliable thing on the planet, I have thought about an operator panel (I like the look of Red Lion) but I need to log some data and print it out. Profilab has a feature to fill a table and then save it to a .xls file; I can then manipulate the data in excel and produce some half decent looking reports. Besides, in a lot of cases, the clients have plenty of perfectly good spare pc's lying around due to their upgrade policy.

burnerman said:
Yes, I agree that a pc/windoze is not the most reliable thing on the planet, I have thought about an operator panel (I like the look of Red Lion) but I need to log some data and print it out. Profilab has a feature to fill a table and then save it to a .xls file; I can then manipulate the data in excel and produce some half decent looking reports. Besides, in a lot of cases, the clients have plenty of perfectly good spare pc's lying around due to their upgrade policy.

The Redlion G3 series will log the data to a CF card onboard or to a PC over ethernet as an ftp server. G303 around £300 but more reliabe than any pc!

for project similar to that i use horner plc/hmi all in one, they are very easy to program and not too expensive. software is free also.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I looked at the Horner unit and other HMI panels but they all get a bit pricey for a decent size colour screen.

Has nobody any experience with Profilab?

I'm well aware of the reliability issues with pcs & windoze, which is why I know a lot of you will advocate using an HMI operator panel. However, these machines I'm looking to upgrade have been running for up to 13 years with pc based HMI running on Win 3.11, 95 & 98 with no reliability problems at all.

In fact, the main reason for the upgrade is that the plc hardware is obsolete and the HMI program, which is a compiled program written with we-don't-know-what, needs a few things changing but we cannot obtain the source code.

The thing is, these pcs will never been connected to a network, will never have any additional applications installed and will never been available for the operators to play games or install their own software on, they will only ever run the applications originally installed.