Studio 5000 v21.xxx

Update on the v24 "slow" issue I mentioned here...

Geospark said:
I'm on Studio 5000 v24.11...

...Is anyone else finding that when you try open the properties for a module under the I/O Configuration, it can take a gawd awful long time? Logix Designer also goes to (not responding) for periods but does get there in the end.

I had to turn off the "Major fault on controller if connection fails..." for a number of PowerFlex 525 drives and it was painful. I'm just wondering if it's my computer or are others noticing similar?...

einnh said:
The delay only happens with drives. More RAM will not fix it. According to tech support (who I talked to in the past about the problem) many people have the problem and it is due to Studio having to launch the drives software in the background.

My development workstation has an overclocked Intel i7 processor and 32GB of RAM due to simulation requirements...it STILL takes 30-120 seconds to launch a drive module properties window in Studio 5000.

We've been exclusively using PowerFlex 525 drives for our last few projects. So the slow opening of the module properties in v24 has been constantly eating away at me. It is not as slow in v21 or v26. It annoyed me so much that I recently raised the issue with Rockwell and got no real answers other than it must be something with my particular setup.

By chance, I stumbled upon the linked technote today, dated February of this year, which was well before I had raised the issue with Support. I had searched the KBase many times for info on this specific issue but this technote had never turned up, until this morning. Yet somehow, Support did not know of the fix or could find it either if they had even bothered searching.

In the technote, they do not explain the reason why it happens, other than it is related to AOP v1.04 for the 520 Series Drives when used in Logix Designer v24.

However, they do provide a quick fix in the form of a Registry update file that corrects the anomaly. I have used this and it worked. I could elaborate on the Registry entries included in the fix and what they appear to do, but I'm far too busy and none too inclined to do so. They've annoyed me too much on this one and I'm not RA Support.

The drive properties window initially opens in 15 seconds or less compared to well over a minute before. A subsequent opening is about 2 seconds as the data is still loaded in RAM. This was also somewhat slower before.

Another option is to update the 520 Series Drives AOP to v1.05 or higher.

Anyhow, I thought I'd share this here as this is where I first mentioned the issue. I hope it helps someone experiencing the same anomaly...

664399 - PowerFlex 520 Series Drives AOP Opening Slow in Studio 5000
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George

George,

I recently started a new project in ver 26 and had the same 2 minute wait for a 525 to open (also had 10 second spurts of "not responding" every few minutes of programming - thinking that is lack of memory?). Anyway, I finally bailed out and copied everything over to a ver 21 (the only other version I have loaded). Thanks for sharing the info.

V28 same issue

It appears that I had the same issue. V28 would open drive module properties very slowly, over 5 minutes. I tried installing 1.05 AOP for Powerflex 520 series, but no improvement. The registry edit seems to have done the trick for me. I just opened the same window in less than 20 seconds. Thank you for the post, I was having trouble finding anything on AB site on my own.