Avery Weigh Tronix ZM303 Ethernet/IP

I think these snapshots will help you, you can tare or zero via the datalink or "network tokens" as Avery refers to it. Although they are SINT, you still send a "1" for that respective tag from logix and it operates as if it is boolean. For instance, just as Plastic organized above, i used token 900 for th eoutput word 2 from logix to zero the scale. Sorry, hope this response is coherent.

networktokens1.PNG networktokens2.PNG

Thanks bjeppsen & other experts!!

Yeah we saw the same table. Soon after posting we were able to get access to the avery device and hook it up to the processor. Another thing we noticed while testing was if we type all other numbers besides zero on the PLC side that seems to issue the command the variable is associated with.

Thanks again!! :D

I hate these S#$%ty companies want to sell their product and yet at the same time , they go to extreme length to make more difficult for the end users.

I recommend to use Mettler Toledo instead.

Thanks! That was great! Come to find out that 4/5 weigh heads don’t support Ethernet/IP so I’m working on using a “free protocol “ driver on a Weintek HMI in order to get the scale to send some weigh data.

So as I was unable to set up the ZM201 Avery weigh scale to communicate easily with the PLC I decided to use another method.

If you need the passwords a google search for "avery service manual" should be enough for you to find a service manual. Any service manual from an avery scale should work for your purposes.

I used a Weintek screen using a "free protocol" TCH/Socket communication. I set the scale to communicate on SMA (Scale manufactures protocol). This generally takes the form <LF><MESSAGE><CR> where the <LF> and <CR> are hexidecimal numbers 0x0A and 0x0D. The commands can be found in the service manuals or on the scale manufactures . org website.

I had to set the scale up on the second protocol as when I was using the first protocol the scale didn't respond. I just used the first protocol for a print function.

I will warn anyone who tries the same that having the scales were messing with some of my other equipment and disrupting communication. Thanks bjeppsen for your help!

Ethernet modules, remember that most 3rd party devices are tested against a certain revision of firmware. Usually the better 3rd party manufacturers will give this information in their pdf. So if you match or exceed the firmware level then you have a greater chance that the 3rd party ethernet device will work consistently.

I have had too many experiences where the Ethernet card and firmware level was not identified and its a **** shoot on if the device will communicate.

Weightronix misery

Since COVID delays most startups, I've wanted some info from Weightronix since march and they absolutely will not give us any.

They want only to have their field service technician to come at our plant and configure the devices. Speaking with the technician's boss we where inform that one is good for calibrating, another genius can configure the IP address and for more highly complicated stuff we will need to hire an upper level technician... Give me a break!!!

We have ZM303 with load cells connected and we need some functions like being able to read the raw, tare and net weights from them, send a "Print" command as if an operator had pressed the print button and read error codes if any. all this done through modbustcp protocols.

We have no support from them here in Canada and since these are not "legal from trade" units we need to be free to configure them as we wish.

How can I get my hand on a Configuration/Service manual for this?

Its the first time I have to deal with such unprofessional people but I guess for them its just normal.

This is no rant its the new normal for these companies. Since it was my client specific request that we use the AVERY/Weightronix brand its also his problem now... and I try to help.

So if someone can link me to the manual it will be appreciated. thanks