Point IO path invalid or module not responding

the_msp

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have tried setting up two separate point IO modules and am getting this error on both of them. Yellow triangle in project tree and when you right click and go to properties it says after a while "Path specified invalid or module not responding". It won't let me reset in the 'Module info' tab.

I have tried both going from my NIC to the AENTR and from that to the PLC CPU (L32E rev 18.11) and by using an unmanaged switch, both let me talk to the PLC ok but not the AENTR's. They are both Rev A Series A f/w 3.006

I used bootP to set the IP and then changed the 3 digits on each AENTR to the correct last 3 digits. I was able to initally connect to both and set the chassis size in module.

Using logix 5000 18.00.00

All the lights on the AENTR are green (barr the modules, both analog and have nothing wired to them yet).

I used bootP to set the IP and then changed the 3 digits on each AENTR to the correct last 3 digits. I was able to initally connect to both and set the chassis size in module.

Changing the configuration thumbwheel switches will cause the IP address to change to 192.168.1.xxx, where xxx is the thumbwheel switch setting between 1..254.

If you want to use BootP/DHCP, you must set the thumbwheel switches to an invalid value, such as 999. (Don't use 888 it is reserved).

Last edited:
OK sorted, thanks. I had my NIC set in the 10. range and the CPU and AENTR in the same range, I have changed now to 192.168 range.

I thought that no matter what range you were in you set the last 3 digits of the thumbwheel to match, obvisouly this is where I was going wrong.

Thanks

I now want to change the IP of the PLC and AENTR. I got the PLC done ok by right clicking in RSlinx and changing it there.

The AENTR however doesn't appear in there so I tried using bootp. I changed the module thumbwheel to 888 and powercycled but when it powered up it doesn't appear in the request history. So I changed to 999 and it appeared again. I set IP to 10.1.1.20. Tried to then disable bootp/DHCP and got "error message set attribute single (9)".

Went back into L5K and was able to set the chassis size in module and clear the yellow triangles. But will I lose any settings in future (e.g. on power cycle) as Bootp/DHCP could not be disabled?

Yes, you need to disable bootp and DHCP. It's a long time annoyance of me (and plenty of others) that a lot of places you can give it the IP address for some reaosn won't disable bootp/DHCP.

Generally RSLinx works though - find the equipment in there and right click>properties.

It wasn't displayed in linx for some reason, so I went into L5K IO tree, right clicked module there was an option in there to set it as static IP.

Well apparently that option doesn't work either (should it?). After powering up after it being off for a while it's back to dynamic. In Linx it is showing up with the modules but I can't get into the properties? Photo attached. RsLinx Lite V 2.43.01.23

Last edited:
I also tried going into the modules config via web-browser to IP, I can connect but when I try and enter the Configuration: Network page it is asking for a password? "The site says "Microsoft: WinCE" "

Check out this manual.

Page 16 tells you that the default password is...

"password"

It also tells you how to reset it back to that if it's been changed :)

OK thanks, sorted now says IP from EEPROM not DHCP even after power cycle. Still can't get into the properties page in linx!

Maybe my understanding of EEPROM is wrong. Back when I very first heard the term, it was always referring to the memory card in the PLC, and the AENT's obviously don't have a memory card.

But maybe EEPROM is just non-volatile memory or something, and all that it's telling you is that the IP address is not set by the thumbwheel switches, but by an internal setting, stored in non-volatile memory.

Can anyone tell me (us) more about this? :)

I just revisited this thread as I had an issue getting an SMC manifold re-IP'd after two years. Turns out that, even though the BootP utility was set to use the laptop on board NIC, the NIC on the dock connected to the factory network wouldn't let me service DHCP requests, even though the IP range was completely unique.

Anywho, to answer your question, Electronically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory is just a chip and isn't specific for use just in CPU's.