Fine Tuning Bottle Fill Levels

AshleyParr

Good evening all,

We have a couple of volumetric fillers at the brewery where I work. We monitor & weigh our bottles to ensure we are legally supplying the correct amount to the sonsumers. From these values we then change the volume fill settings on the filler. Abit of trial & error by the operators to be honest.

I remember a while ago someone said to a colleague that there is a way to fine tune this setting, something along the lines of entering the bottle data & it spits out a setting to try.

I can’t remember if this was a software solution from someone or just a formula. Has anyone here came across this before?

Cheers,
Ash

That would very much depend on what sort of filler you are using, how many heads, filing method of the heads and the fluid being filled.

That would very much depend on what sort of filler you are using, how many heads, filing method of the heads and the fluid being filled.

Thanks for the reply Geoff.

Surely the heads, method & fluid are always the same so don't come into play?

We have different fillers with different heads but the premise is the same, they have a time that they fill for. The way we currently manage the levels is by checking x bottles, if they are low we increase the time, if they are high we reduce the time.

The setting change is dependant on the operator, this means that one may think he decrease the time by 0.2 seconds whereas another may decrease it by 1.5 seconds. What i was hoping i could do is enable them to enter the weights/volume and give the operator a value to change the setting by

Ash

Maths isn't my strongest but will give it a try.

First convert the error to a percentage.

So if it should weigh 500g but actually weighs 495g that would be
error / correct weight * 100 (for percent)
5/500*100 = 1% error.

Then add 1% to your fill time by multiplying by 101 and divide by 100
original time * (100 + error) / 100

So if your fill time was 10secs
10 * 101 / 100 = 10.1 secs.

Ashley: What about artificial vision after bottling . Camera can tell you if your bottle level is ok, normally these cameras can give real values, so that value can be sent back to your bottle machine.