RS5000 Program order

RoTaTech

I thought this would be a basic question, but RS Help files, two major search engines, and searching PLCs.net have still left my question unresolved.

I have dozens of Programs within one Task in RS5000. For a more readable logical sequence, I want to change the order of them (I have been adding programs to someone else's application).

Within a Program, routines are listed alphabetically - easy to re-order them by changing the name. But not so with Programs - the name is not sorted. Nor can I left-click drag or right-click drag, as I can with other (Omron) packages.

Any pointer, please?

Last edited:
The order of program execution is set up in the configuration of the task. Right click on the containing task, select properties, and change the order how you like, as long as you are POSITIVE that changing the order won't affect the process.

If the order can affect the process, leave it alone.

That's it! Thank you RD.

No, it will not affect the operation in any way, it is an assembly line control PLC, in which the customer wants only ONE Main Task and all the programs located there.

Cheers,

R

Originally posted by RoTaTech:

... the customer wants only ONE Main Task and all the programs located there.

is not necessarily the same as

Originally posted by rdrast:

If the order can affect the process, leave it alone.

Most of the time it is. But on occasion you will find that there can be scan dependencies in logic. It is not necessarily a good practice but, humans being humans, we will write logic assuming a condition will be in a known state because we put it in a routine that we "knew" would be scanned first. If you wrote this thing and know it won't affect anything to swap the programs around then it is not a big deal. If someone else wrote it, I wouldn't go through the program to see if there are dependencies but I would certainly have my head on a swivel the first time I run it with the newly ordered programs.

Keith

No, my additions will not change the process.
The only pre-canned routines from the customer are still in their positions at the start and end of the Task; I am adding intermediate stations to ones already there.

But thanks for the warning to newbies who may find this question and not know about order of processing.