Does the S7-1500 NEED memory card?

Pete.S.

Hi guys!

Is the memory card a must on the Simatic S7-1500?

At least the newer S7-300s could be run without a card even though some info on the net says that you must have one.

How is it with the S7-1500? I have one in front of me (1515-2 PN) that shows a warning that it has no memory card but as said I still haven't figured out if it is needed or not. I'm trying to download the hardware config to it but I can't get it to work so I'm troubleshooting right now.

Thanks!

Best,
Pete

Yes. It’s needed for 1500’s
Memory cards provide the “load memory”
They are needed for 300’s too
Unless you had the old ones
(The big memory slots)

Last edited:
On the S7-300 side there is confusion for sure. Siemens says you need a memory card but you don't.

As proof I've attached two photos from my phone showing an CPU314 and CPU315-2DP running in production without any memory cards. Image quality is bad from little light but what I had.

That was the two photos I had in my phone but I know plenty of systems running with current S7-300 processors without the memory card, for instance CPU315-2F PN/DP.

Is the S7-1500 the same? Meaning if you read the documentation it says you need an MMC but you don't. At least not as long as the internal memory is large enough to hold your program.

cpu314.jpg CPU315-2DP.jpg

Last edited:
On the S7-300 side there is confusion for sure. Siemens says you need a memory card but you don't.

As proof I've attached two photos from my phone showing an CPU314 and CPU315-2DP running in production without any memory cards. Image quality is bad from little light but what I had.

That was the two photos I had in my phone but I know plenty of systems running with current S7-300 processors without the memory card, for instance CPU315-2F PN/DP.

Is the S7-1500 the same? Meaning if you read the documentation it says you need an MMC but you don't. At least not as long as the internal memory is large enough to hold your program.
Both of the PLC's shown on the photos DO HAVE a memory card inserted in the slot.
That's the case with the newer 300's.

That is the little thin blue card shown above to the "push to eject" button.

Last edited:
Both of the PLC's shown on the photos DO HAVE a memory card inserted in the slot.
That's the case with the newer 300's.

That is the little thin blue card shown above to the "push to eject" button.

Haha, well you're absolutely right. 🙃

I'll shut up about the S7-300 now. It looks like I was the one that was confused. 🍻