Allen-Bradley Ethernet Communication

swhite65

I am using some Wago I/O with their Ethernet coupler. A-B says the Contrologix and Compaqlogix will utilize ethernet I/O. I want to use a SLC505 or even a Micrologix 1100. Is there a way to "force feed" analog data tables to N registers in either of these processors via the Ethernet connections on board? The protocols are there (Ethernet/IP and CIP) but A-B usually finds a way to screw you with proprietary stuff hidden in places. I don't know if the MSG instruction will work with the Wago device. It will have an IP address but it needs to emulate one of the drop down selections that RSLogix500 gives you. Anyone have any experience talking Ethernet to A-B processors with third party devices?

This will work fine with the Controllogix or Compactlogix but the SLC or Micrologix may or may not be a challenge. You got the part numbers and preferable a link for the Wago Communications spec?

Curious though, your say a SLC505 or Micrologix 1100. Does this mean that you don't have the PLC yet? Why not just get the Compactlogix? An L32E will do the job with no problem since there is no proprietary stuff hidden in Ethernet/IPs open standard and the Compactlogix is less expensive than the SLC.

Yes and it is Ethernet/IP Compliant

What about the part numbers on the Wago I/O?

The 750-841 and 750-341 are Ethernet/IP Compliant

Ethernet/IP I/O will not directly communicate with SLC or Micrologix. This you would need a different protocol for which some products have, some don't

Last edited:
List price on the 1969-L32E is $2932 compared to the SLC5/05 with minimum memory of 16K price $3318

These are both list price off of the AB shop section

Micrologix, SLC and PLC5 does not do Ethernet/IP I/O control.

As long as I/O Ethernet/IP prodtocol compatible, it will work with ControlLogix, CompactLogix, FlexLogix PLCs
The protocols are there (Ethernet/IP and CIP) but A-B usually finds a way to screw you with proprietary stuff hidden in places.
This is another big lie from someone who understands very little about Ethernet/IP

It will have an IP address but it needs to emulate one of the drop down selections that RSLogix500 gives you.
This dropdown emulation called "Ethernet/IP protocol implementation" so PLC must have this implementation.

I know that it is not setup to work with third party I/O modules. But data is data and if there are no "hidden" catches, then data should be able to be sent with one of these standard protocols.

know that it is not setup to work with third party I/O modules
Not true: 1794-AENT from A-B will not work with SLC, PLC5 or Micrologix as well. Limitation is in PLC, it just does not have Ethernet/IP (CIP) implementation.

then data should be able to be sent with one of these standard protocols
Data transfer initiated by PLC. Like I said these PLCs can't send CIP message to request it as well as understand an incoming data. It sipmply has no protocol implementation.

Last edited:
Contr_Conn said:
Not true: 1794-AENT from A-B will not work with SLC, PLC5 or Micrologix as well.

What is the 1794-AENT and are you saying it will not work with the logix processors in addition to the others you listed?

1794-AENT is Allen-Bradley Ethernet/IP Flex I/O similar to Wago.

Like any other Ethernet/IP enabled I/O it will work with Logix processors only, but will not work with PLC5/SLC/Micrologix

Yes. I know that A-B has made this possible. The Wago has some modules that A-B does not (0-1A input modules). I'm trying to find the cheapest processor solution which looks like the Compactlogix.

What Contr_Conn is saying is the setup will be similar. If it is Ethernet/IP compliant then it is Ethernet/IP compliant. There are standards of communication they must meet that set how they communicate. The hidden proprietary stuff people talk about is a myth. If it had this it would not be Ethernet/IP compliant. It would just be an "Ethernet" device.

Here is a list of Ethernet/IP compliant devices.

http://www.odva.org/10_2/04_products/04_prodtest.htm

You will also find a lot of other good information at the ODVAs site