Laumas Tlm8 Ethernet/ip

Montegopet

Hi guys I am new to plc programming and I have been doing small projects at work my newest project I would like to install a laumas tlm8, I already installed the EDS file to my L33ER on rs logix 5000 every thing works but my problem is that I don't understand how to interpret the values given by the EDS files I might be over my head into this but theres no way like learning when you struggle and figure it out in the end.

Thank you

Hello Montegopet. You should find the manual(s) for your tlm8 Ethernet/IP and post links to them here.

What are your goals? What do you need to be able to get from the module?

Hi there thank you for the reply at the moment if i can just figure out how to recieve the gross and net weight that would be awesome but would have to do n remote tare and calibration from HMI aswell.

Thank you

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

I don't have direct experience with the Laumas TLM8 weight controller, but I'm pretty good at integrating third-party devices with ControlLogix. And reading their manual, it looks nearly identical to a device I happen to have on my bench right now, sold as a "SCT-20" by Rice Lake in the USA.

The manual you want is the "TLM8 Protocols Manual" from their webpage:

https://www.laumas.com/en/product/t...-rs485-ethernet-ip-8-channels-for-load-cells/

When you register the EDS file (also downloadable there), the module will become available in your I/O tree in Studio 5000.

But the actual map of the Input and Output connections takes some careful parsing.

What version of Studio 5000 are you using ? I may be able to strip out just those components of my program and post them.

I am using version 20.3 i think. Yes you are correct i have loaded the EDS file but i am unable to map the I/O to give me an actual gross or net reading

In that manual, turn to Page 60.

The table labeled "32 BIT RUN/IDLE HEADER" has the map of the SINT[18] array that will be the Input data tag.

I like to use CPS to copy that data in one intact block from the Input tag to a buffer tag that is also a SINT[18], then parse out the DINTs and BOOLs in logic.

I'll send more examples later, but this is the most important part:

TLM_IO.png

Double-check your Studio 5000 Logix Designer version so we avoid compatibility issues. For a 1769-L33ER, the minimum should be version 21, and the current release is (I think) version 33.

My project was written for Studio 5000 v30, with a 5069-L306ER controller, but I think that exporting a *.L5X component file should allow you to import the ladder logic, the associated I/O tags, and the associated User-Defined Data Types that I created to hold the weigh scale data.

Sometimes you can create an elegant User-Defined Tag to copy data into and out of from a generic EtherNet/IP adapter device. I did mine in a slightly messy way by copying UDT elements piece-by-piece, but in a way that I think is most easy to understand for troubleshooters.

In Studio 5000, you should be able to use the Tools -> Import -> Import Component feature to import the attached Routine (un-ZIP Load_Cell_Input.zip first to get the *.L5X file).

It should create the rungs, the tags, and the UDTs.

It won't create the I/O object; you'll have to put that into your I/O tree with the appropriate SINT[18] and SINT[8] sizes for Input and Output respectively. The EDS file should give you a selectable Module object that will create those tags and sizes and datatypes automatically.

This only maps the Input data; I don't have any logic executing Tare or Calibration functions.

In my limited work with the device so far, the Command Register = 8 will execute an ordinary process Tare that is erased on power cycle.

Thank you so much for your help and time. i imported your file into my logix and it looks like i am getting somewhere the values of the gross and net weigh are very big numbers not sure if it is the correct values, and i need to convert them to KG. not sure what i am still doing rong.

Check the documents and settings to see if you're configuring the device for integer units of grams.

On my unit, we are using Imperial units so a 1-pound weight shows the value "10" in the PLC, because the increments are 1/10 of a pound.

I think there is just a byte swap issue in your logic or in a configuration setting.

4D8A hexadecimal = 19850 decimal
8A4D hexadecimal = -1974665216 decimal

Hi there sorry for only replying now. you where right my display unit was set to Big endian and not Little endian so my bits got swapped around. thank you so much for the help i managed to figure out the writing aswell so now i can tare and zero.